We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just retuned from 5 nights at SSB

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
659 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Just retuned from 5 nights at SSB

My husband, son (9) and I just returned from a 5 night stay at SSB. I would love to answer your questions. In short, we had a wonderful time, I am so appauled by the bad reviews the hotel received. I am writing a review, but I have a lot to say, so it will be a few days before I get it done. In the meantime, I would be glad to answer any questions.

Tiffin, OH
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just retuned from 5 nights at SSB

Hi Klab:

My wife, 10 & 13 year-old sons and I returned home from our stay at SSB last night as well.

I'm sure between the two of us, there isn't a question we can't answer.

Harlemgirl should be around as well. I think she was returning last night.

I too will post a trip report in a few days, once we recover and sort through our mountain of dirty clothes.

In five trips home from Montego Bay, yesterday was the longest and most aggrevating time we've had getting through Sangster Airport. I was prepared for the 30+ min wait for the baggage check-in, but then the line to go through security was even longer. Visiting Jamaica is always worth the effort, though.

Respect

New York
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just retuned from 5 nights at SSB

Hey Uncle Remus and Klab,

I got in at 1230 last night. We had a 530 flight that turned into 6:25pm and we arrived in Newark at 11:15pm. I am at work posting this and I am tired as heck.

I was looking for you Uncle Remus. I was sick most of the trip with a cold but that did not stop my vacation. We had a wonderful time. We ended up in Tower A on the 9th floor. Oceanfront. It was fine for us. The first night I broke out in Hives. I don't know what happened but after a dose of benadryl, I was good to go.

You may have seen me with mom mostly. My son was in the kids club and I couldn't get him out. My daughter had a ball. She was at Margaritaville most of the nights. You may have seen her, about 6'2 with heels on with her hair braided straight back. Thin. I was expecting the worst but we really had a nice time. We had hired a driver Jeffrey and he took us into town on Wednesday. He drove us around Richmond Hill, Jamaica's Beverly Hills, and we stopped at the richmond hill hotel. Gorgeous. The next day we went to Negril and went to Sunset at the Palms and they gave us a brief tour. Very quiet and laid back. Had lunch on the beach and came back to MoBay. I will be writing a review. Posting photos as well. I met a lot of nice people and we are thinking of going back for Christmas/New Years Holiday.

Hope both of your trips were good as well.

Harlemgirl

Falls Church, VA
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just retuned from 5 nights at SSB

I just had to chime in and say we're so glad you guys are appauled by the bad reviews as well...we were starting to wonder what was going on! We are not "hard to please", but I'd say we are on the "pickier" side and we LOVED our time at the SSB! Glad to hear others had good trips as well! IF anyone hears of any great deals, please pass them along b/c we can't wait to go back!!!!

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just retuned from 5 nights at SSB

I consider myself very hard to please and very picky (my son and I are probably the 2 pickest eaters in the world) and we loved the resort and had no problem with the food, there was something each of us would eat every night, which amazed me. I feel like I didn't even stay at the same resort as some of these people.

New York
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just retuned from 5 nights at SSB

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't think my 6 year old son had too many cheeseburgers and pizza. My 19 year old daughter and mother were hooked on the cheeseburgers too. My daughter actually loved their ketchup.

I really loved Jamaica night (which was Thursday). They had curried goat, rice and peas, callalloo and other dishes that were on the money.

Now as for my mother, she doesn't swim, doesn't drink (she did this trip) or hang out in the sun. She said she had a great time. She is ready to return.

The resident band was good and the staff was really pleasant and outgoing. Kudos to the Club Mongoose. They were always focused on the kids. I am glad I choose this hotel.

Harlemgirl

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just retuned from 5 nights at SSB

in refernece to "any good deals"? I got what I think was a great deal, through expedia.com. I booked about 2 months ago, and we are going the first week of june, but, long story short, I got 6 days, 5 nights at SSB in an Ocean Front room, and round trip airfare from Baltimore/Washington area, for $1800 for both of us combined. It was part of this 5th night free promo they had going. They're not runnning it now, but I'm sure they'll do it again, just keep your eyes open.

va
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just retuned from 5 nights at SSB

where did everyone stay? i want to try the west inn, we like to party and have a good time, but be the closest to bar and grill, in case sugar drops

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just retuned from 5 nights at SSB

We were in the East Inn (coming from the bar area the West Inn if before the East Inn, but the West in is right at the kids pool), which is very quite and a long walk from the entertainment, if you want to be in the center of everything, then the towers would be best for you. The inns are quite and long walk from the excitement.

New York
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just retuned from 5 nights at SSB

KLAB,

When we checked in (which I think was the only bad experience), they had 1 room for us on the 7th flr and the other on the 10th in tower A. Mind you, I had e-mailed Marion Campbell twice requesting inn rooms and connecting. The problem was that so many families were there and the majority of the rooms in the inns are double beds and the families requested those along will roll out beds. We finally got two rooms on the same flr (9th) and they were going to move us to the East Inn the following day. After consideration, we figured the East Inn was too far and we enjoyed listening to the band play at night from our balconies, so we just decided to stay put.

Anyone wants to stay by the action, I suggest they stay in the towers. You are closer to everything.

As I said before, we are definitely trying to return for Christmas/New Years but I want to stay in Negril. See what the rates are for Sunset on the Palms.

Any other suggestions, have kids, no beaches resorts.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
771 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just retuned from 5 nights at SSB

I just returned from a three night stay at the SSB. We had a great time too. We were in tower B on the 7th Floor. I wish we had requested an inn room. Our floor vibrated every night from the disco and was very loud during the day too. Also, we were right by the elevator and stairs and we had the staircase door slamming all night and day. I would not recommend that location for anyone with kids or who likes to sleep (not that you get much on vacation anyway right).

I thought the food was good and the entertainment (especially the house band) was good too. We ate at the Italian resaturant and had GREAT service and food, I had the chicken parm, yum!

I agree with the earlier post about getting through the ticket line and then through security. I have never seen it like that. Does anyone know why they were checking every single bag at the ticket counter? I was wondering if there was some type of security alert or something?

Glad everyone had a good time!!!