We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route Taxi Success

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Route Taxi Success

Just wanted to share my success story with using a route taxi for the first time. Wanted to get from Iberostar to the hip strip to walk around for the morning and the posted rate at Iberostar was $60 round trip (which I knew was ridiculous). We walked up to the road and asked a (route) taxi how much and he said $20 to the hip strip - we turned to walk to the next taxi and he calle us back and asked how much we wanted to pay - we told him $5 (thanks to trip advisor I knew that was about the rate it should be for a route taxi) and he said ok. Did the same thing coming back so we paid $5 each way (for two people) and felt really good about it working out so well!

It's funny, the whole morning I had in my head something someone on here said "if there's one thing there is no shortage of in Jamaica it's taxis" - that is so true! For anyone considering the route taxi in a similar situation I say go for it - make sure you get in a red plate and agree on the price before you get in and you are good to go!

Edited: 10 October 2012, 14:48
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Route Taxi Success

That is all well and good but, you have to remember that the route taxis do not have the same private, air-conditioned comfort with personal service. The route taxis also could pick up so many passengers that would make it tightly packed and uncomfortable, plus they don't wait for you to render whatever assistance you might need and then take you back to the resort.

A friend of mine did it and had a very unpleasant experience, she said not only that the driver wanted to pickup everyone that was waiting for a cab, music blasting so loud you couldn't hear yourself, but that he drove like a bat out of hell, overtaking other vechicles even when there were semi's heading towards them.

I will stick to negotiating with a private cab to take me wherever I want to go.

BE REMINDED THAT EVERYONE WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route Taxi Success

Dreaming, I haven't seen many route taxis sitting. Are you sure it was an actual route taxi?

Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Route Taxi Success

DreamingMobay....I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with the taxi drivers outside your resort...but you did not use the route taxi system....you chartered a taxi. Once you negotiate with a taxi driver you have hired him as a private chartered driver.

You do not negotiate with the route taxi drivers...there is a set fee for their particular route.

Again, I'm glad it turned out well for you.

Edited: 10 October 2012, 16:03
Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route Taxi Success

it said route taxi on it and had a route painted on the door - i was under the belief that was a route taxi, no?

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route Taxi Success

and we did pick up other passengers on the way - but i did not have a problem with that.

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route Taxi Success

route taxi or not - i guess my point is people should not just pay the $60 that is posted when other (safe and red plated) options are available.

United States
Level Contributor
11,072 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route Taxi Success

Your having a good experience was great (that is why we go there) . However, if the taxi was parked on the side of the road and if you paid $US5 each way for two people then you did a private charter in a tourist taxi and did not use a route taxi. Route taxi fares are fixed by law in Jamaica and $US5 for two people from your hotel to the 'hip strip' is way above what Jamaican law allows. For a private charter what you paid is, however, a fine fare.

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route Taxi Success

what about coming back - a taxi that had 'route taxi' on the side as well as a map stopped to pick us up - he also picked up other people and we stayed on the route printed on his side - we handed him 5$ at the end - does that count as a route taxi?

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route Taxi Success

That probably was a route taxi. Did you negotiate with him or just get in and go on his route? He probably took the $5 as his fare and tip.

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route Taxi Success

he stopped...we got in and said "$5 to iberostar" and he said yes and we went...i knew $5 was a bit more than a fare for two - but not too much more...we didnt have exact change so we were fine with paying $5