We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Martha Brae River

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pleasant Hill
2 posts
Save Topic
Martha Brae River

We will be at the Sunset Resort for nearly a week, and found that people loved the Martha Brae River rafting. Thought that it would be great to spend a day there, but it seems to be pretty far away from the Resort.

What transportation to use? How to make reservation?

Any answer would be greatly appreciated!

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Martha Brae River

It's not that far from Mobay...maybe 35min. You could do a group or if you have a few in yours you can hire a private taxi. Wait till you arrive at your resort to negotiate the best rate.

If you plan to spend the day I also reccomend doing the Glistening Waters also in Falmouth. After rafting you can have dinner and then go (also have a place to eat there). The first boat goes out after dark and it's really amazing. You can swim if you want and watch the water light up. I've been telling people not to miss that trip becasue with the new port in Falmouth this natural wonder may one day be done! There are only 7 such bodies of water in the world!

PEACE!

Pleasant Hill
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Martha Brae River

Thank you for the great idea!!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Martha Brae River

I would go on a Wednesday and go to the Bend Down Market in Falmouth first thing in the morning, then do the Martha Brae, mosey on over to the Outameni Experience and then end the day at Glistening Waters.

The Bend Down Market is only on Wednesday, You will see where a lot of the Jamaicans purchase most of their goods from household items, food, jewelry to bras and underwear. It really is a cool experience that will take anywhere from an hour to 3 hours to go all the way through, depending on how much you like to shop.

The Outameni experience, http://www.outameni.com/ , is another nice thing to see in Falmouth as well. It is a museum of reenactments from past generations of Jamaican life. Very interesting to see, it will take about 2 hours to see it.

The Martha Brae RIver is something that we would like to do everything we are in the area. It is such a beautiful and relaxing tour. Depending on your tour guide it can take 45 minutes to 90 minutes to navigate all the way to the end. tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147311-d153…

Glistening Waters is an experience not to be missed for sure. With all of the development in the Falmouth area who knows how much longer this natural wonder will last.

No matter what you decide to do you will have a wonderful time in Jamaica.

Fort St-John BC
Level Contributor
644 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Martha Brae River

The Martha Brae River is a nice excursion through the river, but just be careful with your guide trying to get money from you with a sad story about he has lost his wife and was bringing up his daughter by himself, this story is not true its a scam. Whatever he has for sale, just say your not interested.

The Glistening Waters is incredible and its a must do while in Jamaica.

Gabi, enjoy your holiday

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Martha Brae River

@Rexell....just curious how do you know the story is not true and it was a scam? Did you tip the man?

Yes the guides will all try to sell you a "handmade" souvenir at the end of the trip. We did purchase it in loo of a larger tip. We were going to tip him $15-$20.00, instead we bought the little coconut bowl and gave him a $5.00 tip. This way we got a cute bowl, he got a "tip" and everyone was happy.

Edited: 29 October 2012, 19:09
Fort St-John BC
Level Contributor
644 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Martha Brae River

frodobagginsk, Because as we were going, I question him on the daughter and wife and his story was changing with different answers, it was not hard to see he was lying,also I am not the only one that he tried it on. I do promote the excursion but just to be aware of some stories that might not be true. For us the little coconut he wanted $60.00 US for it, and yes I still give him a good amount tip for the ride. I am not saying all of them use this low tactic to scam money from innocent tourist.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Martha Brae River

heheheheh.....I would have asked him if that coconut bowl fell and hit him in the head since $60.00 was NUTS!

We did purchase ours for $15.00 and then gave him the $5.00 for the tip.

You are correct that some people DO tell stories in hopes that people will feel sorry for them. It is too bad though since most people will purchase an item if it is reasonable.

Have fun on your next trip!!

Fort St-John BC
Level Contributor
644 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Martha Brae River

We will be there in April 2013 for two weeks for our third time and we are connected with a Church in Flankers and help them with some finance and we have made many many friends, just love Jamaica.

9. Re: Martha Brae River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2013, 09:16