We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Montego Bay

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Montego Bay

Is it best to take a tour for shopping in Montego Bay or can you go by yourself ?

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Montego Bay

Not sure what you are looking for, souvenir shops up and down the Hip Strip. No need for an organized tour, just be prepared for the hard sell. Just be polite and say "no thanks" and keep moving along. Don't allow anyone to place anything in your hand or on your body (necklace, bracelet, etc)

J B
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
429 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Montego Bay

Hello,

If you're shopping for souvenirs I recommend the craft markets in Montego Bay. There are three that I know of. One very large one just outside the Hip Strip. one small compact one on the Hip Strip but it's kind of in an alley, so I personally didn't like going there, but everyone is different. There also is one just in the mid of the town near Nyam and Jam restaurant. I see a lot of bussed in tourist going to the large one just before you enter the Hip Strip.

mike0917 gives some good advice about managing yourself when browsing and making purchases. Also bring change so you can get as close to the cost of the item as possible that way you don't have to worry about being forced into spending all that you handover when you have no change. It's happened to me quite a few times including what mike0917 said, so just be aware.

There are some talented craftsmen at the craft market so I hope you will make a good purchase.

The souvenir shops tend to carry items that appear to be local but are instead copy imports not made in Jamaica.

I would say do a first time walk along the Hip Strip and take mental notes, then make a decision to get your best price. That's what I do when I'm unfamiliar with pricing.

If you walk about the Hip Strip you will see some independent craftsmen with their wares (carved items, conch shells and jewellry) along the side walk as well.

Have fun!

Edited: 03 November 2012, 14:06
Lake Villa
Level Contributor
328 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Montego Bay

Been to the island 13 times. What everyone said is true especially about the correct money at the Craft Market. You will hear the same old story, sorry no change. Have fun walking around and looking at all the shops and market. Going back to MoBay on 4/14/13 for the 14th time!

Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Montego Bay

Thanks for your advise. I heard that if you take a taxi or tour they sometimes stay with you, seems a bit strange. Is this true?

We have been to Mexico several times, but this is our first trip to Jamaica. I

assume that it is comparable.

5. Re: Shopping in Montego Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2012, 11:48
Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Montego Bay

Hello,

What everyone else has stated is very true in regards to shopping. Craft marts are everywhere, where as the finer "duty free" shops are relocating to the larger resorts I.E., Half Moon Center and the new port's of call located in Falmouth.

A lot of the resorts are bringing in vendors on site, for local trinkets and souvenirs. Last year, my daughter and granddaughter made a vendor in RDMB a very happy camper!

Take it nice and easy,

grac

Fort St-John BC
Level Contributor
642 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Montego Bay

Go shopping downtown Montego Bay, much more fun than on the strip, and shop with Jamaican money, way easier and easier to bargain. But for Friday and Saturday evening shopping downtown I would suggest to go with some local people, but very exciting shopping in the evening, what a atmosphere and you should also check the KFC on the weekend evening, just incredible, very very busy place.

8. Re: Shopping in Montego Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2013, 10:17