We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Beach resort &spa waterpark ???

new england
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Topic
Sunset Beach resort &spa waterpark ???

I have a few questions How is the beach here is the water clear??? How is the food resturants have dress code for men do they have to wear long pants??? Pools with swim-up bar ??? We are two couples in our 40s looking for a nice place to relax drink and have a good time how is the liquor is is decent, do not have to be top self just want to taste my rum.....How are the rooms ??? Thank you for any info..

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
261 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Beach resort &spa waterpark ???

Hi.... My opinion.....

We spent a week at Sunset Jamaican Grand in Ocho Rios (the sister resort) and decided to try the SUNSET BEACH RESORT at the end of our vacation for an extra night before we flew home from Montego Bay. We were extremely disappointed with the beach at this resort. The sand looked dirty and the water was not inviting. Even the set up of the pools did not compare with the SJG pools. The dinning and entertainment for our one evening was excellent. Given the choice I would pick the SJG . The sunset resorts also have a place in Negril ( sunset at the palms) that gets great reviews.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Beach resort &spa waterpark ???

I have stayed at Sunset Beach twice in the past 3 years. There are two beach areas there. One is a smaller, quieter cove at the west end of the property. It is closer to the lobby, bars, and washrooms. The longer beach has many more people, as well as the water sports staff and equipment. The sand on both beaches was fine and it was raked and cleaned early every morning. We did need to wear water shoes as the bottom was very soft and had lots of vegetation growing. Once we got through that the water was gorgeous and there was amazing snorkeling off both beaches. The food in the restaurants was good, especially for breakfast and dinner. For lunch we hit the snack bar to pick up jerk chicken before heading to the buffet to get sides to go with it. There didn't seem to be a strict dress code for the restaurants, nice shorts should be fine. The Italian restaurant was very good, the Jamaican one was OK. There is a pretty big swim up bar at the main pool which lots of people enjoyed. When I was there the rooms were being rennovated. We stayed in a non updated room in one of the towers and it was pretty basic, but big with a nice balcony.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Beach resort &spa waterpark ???

Returning again and again.. The beach is very good topless, and au natural area. Food is awesome at al a cartes. Only downfall... Lots of kids during peak season but one can escape to the adult portion of the beach for peace and quiet. Rooms are clean beds a little firm. Great staff and very good for repeater guests..busy days when "day cruise trippers" come to visit otherwise nice place to stay and visit..

8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Beach resort &spa waterpark ???

I am kind of looking for the same thing except I want top shelf because there is only one liquor hubby will drink

Hazleton...
Level Contributor
243 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Beach resort &spa waterpark ???

Hello, we have been there 7 times. Going in January for our 8th visit with our 4 month old. We have stayed at other resorts through out Jamaica and in Aruba. But this is the only resort we keep coming back to. The beach is awesome along with the food and the staff. I highly recommend this resort. You will not be disappointed. Note: sleeveless/tank tops are not permitted for men in restaurants or dinner buffet. Have a great time. You can pm me and I am sure I can answer all of your questions.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Beach resort &spa waterpark ???

Been to Jamaica 14 times and this is the one resort I wouldn NOt return to. I got a last minute deal online so I didn't expect much. I was VERY disapointed. Beach was VERY Rocky. Couldnt walk on it without looking down so you didnt walk on a rock and hurt your foot. Water was clear but also very rocky. Buffet food was HORRIBLE. specialty resturants were pretty good. Drinks were Ok but not near as good as other resorts. Eveytime I asked for a DIrty Banan they were out of bananas. I thought the entertainment at night was pretty bad. The Disco was a JOKE. small, dirty and a guy playing music from a laptop. Our room was fine no compalints there. Then again we are never in it so we are not picky about rooms. We are in our 40's too and knew going into it that it was a family resort but we thought majority of the kids would stay in the water park area. We were WRONG! The pool was also in poor condition. Missing tiles and a broken swim up bar stool. As for dress code I didnt see much of one enforced. My last day at SSBR I got VERY sick. ended up going from our flight home to the ER and was diagnoised with a parasite. so all in all I wont reccomend SSBR to anyone!

7. Re: Sunset Beach resort &spa waterpark ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 08:16