We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling - RDMB

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling - RDMB

Hi - I understand there's a reef about a mile out from the RDMB, and I'll be staying there again in January. How do you arrange a boat to get there, and what's the cost?

Thanks for any help!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling - RDMB

The glass bottom boat will take you out. Either talk to the guys at the watersports area or to the people on the boat themselves. I think it's about $20pp for about an hour (maybe more) of snorkeling.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling - RDMB

Capt Polly Polly is always nearby to take you out to the reef. There is also a nice coral head right off the beach, hundreds of fish and sea life to see. I'd suggest bringing your own mask and snorkel so you can go when you want. There was also more stuff to see near the rocks towards Conrwall beach as well as the pier. No fins needed.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling - RDMB

The best snorkeling is right around RDMB. I snorkeled from RDMB to Margaritaville and back one day. Once you get away from the reef around RDMB, there wasn't a lot to see except sea grass. But I know there are some good reefs a bit further out that the boat will take you to.

And agree with Mike, take your own equipment.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling - RDMB

Be sure to go with Polly or one of the RDMB staff. There are boats that try to pick you up from the dock. They aren't authorized to pick people up at the resort.

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling - RDMB

Thanks everyone! I have my own gear, and have snorkelled at RDMB before, but always just around the beach. I didn't realize there was another reef nearby. I'll check with the water sports staff to go out to the reef! Cheers all!

6. Re: Snorkelling - RDMB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 20:15