We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doctor's Cave - Snorkel or not??

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Doctor's Cave - Snorkel or not??

Hi - I've read various reviews under the Doctor's Cave beach that says "GREAT SNORKELLING" and "NO SNORKELLING". So here's my question, fact or fiction? I plan on snorkelling my way over from the RDMB (I know its a bit of a hike) but I just want to make sure I'm not coming for nothing? Can anyone confirm or deny if you've been here? Thanks!

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doctor's Cave - Snorkel or not??

Anyone??

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doctor's Cave - Snorkel or not??

The snorkeling will be better right in front of RDMB. I've snorkeled from RDMB to Margaritaville and it was better (I thought) right in front of RDMB. There were spots here and there where there were things to see, but most of it was just sea grass. The beach is better at Doctors Cave but the snorkeling is better at RDMB.

Winnipeg, MB Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doctor's Cave - Snorkel or not??

Thanks, that's most helpful. I read one review where she states that the Doctor's Cave was the "best snorkelling in the Carribbean". Now - I have done quite a bit of snorkelling throughout the Carribean so this was a tall order....

I do recall the snorkelling very good at RDMB.... I think we went every morning and saw lots of different things! I can't wait to go!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doctor's Cave - Snorkel or not??

I've heard that the reef that the water sports guys will take you to is pretty good for snorkeling as well. I think it's $20pp for an hour or so.

And if there is something around Doctors Cave Beach worth seeing, maybe someone else can fill us in and then we'll both know. Because like I said, while the water is very clear, I didn't see anything really interesting.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
828 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doctor's Cave - Snorkel or not??

I have snorkelled at Doctor's Cave Beach many times and have never been disappointed. I saw many schools of tropical fish, beautiful coral reefs and a few stingray. The farther out from shore the more there is to see. While I was at Doctor's Cave Beach alot of people snorkeling close to shore who didn't seem to want to venture far from, they likely didn't say much at all.

Various tour Catamarans brought snorkellers to the same area everyday, probably about 50 feet from the boundaries of Doctor's Cave Beach.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doctor's Cave - Snorkel or not??

Just curious, how far out did you have to go to see something? I stayed to the beach side of where the jet skis run back and forth. Do you have to go further out? If it's worth seeing, I'll snorkel down there again, but would like to know where I need to go.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
828 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doctor's Cave - Snorkel or not??

I swam out to the rope that separates Doctor's Cave Beach from the open water. I entered the water about midway between the life guard chairs and swam toward the NW, in the direction of Margaritaville. There was lots to see over there. Towards the trampoline and the pier separating Doctor's Cave from Cornwall Beach there wasn't much to see at all. I would say that I didn't start to see anything until I reached the midway point from the shore to the rope.

I suspect there may be more to see beyond the Doctor's Cave rope since that is where all the tour Catamarans stopped to drop off the snorkelers, but I didn't go outside the confines of the Doctor's Cave roped off area.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doctor's Cave - Snorkel or not??

Thanks. I know the reef further out is nice, I snorkeled there on a catamaran trip.

Guess I may try out around Doctor's Cave again on our next trip. Got nothing to lose.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
828 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doctor's Cave - Snorkel or not??

I just got back from Montego Bay and was at Doctor's Cave Beach the week of January 1st. I snorkeled every day and noticed quite a difference day to day. Days when the cruise ships were in (Tues., Wed., & Thurs.), which meant lots of people were on the beach, lots of people using the water trampolines and the beach bar had loud music playing there wasn't much to see while snorkeling. On Friday, which was a much quieter day, there was alot more to see while snorkeling.

10. Re: Doctor's Cave - Snorkel or not??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 05:15