We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Riu being built in Mo Bay

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
New Riu being built in Mo Bay

Is there really room for this next to the existing Riu?

rjrnewsonline.com/local/riu-breaks-ground-fo…

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: New Riu being built in Mo Bay

Interesting that they are tapping into the adults only market this time.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Riu being built in Mo Bay

Wonder if this one is going to be five stories as well?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Riu being built in Mo Bay

Or has a cut out so as not to shade the beach too much !!! We passed the newest one in Cancun (Peninsula) this summer. I think it was supposed to be adults only, but its now family. Its got to be at least 12 stories, but has this huge "skylight" right in the middle. Very strange.

But at least Riu is actually putting a lot of $$$ in Jamaica, while the Jamaican owned chain (Superclubs) has taken the $$$ and ran.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New Riu being built in Mo Bay

"But at least Riu is actually putting a lot of $$$ in Jamaica, while the Jamaican owned chain (Superclubs) has taken the $$$ and ran."

Sowing the seeds for a debate? LOL

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Riu being built in Mo Bay

These Riu Resorts are popping up like Starbucks lol. I've stayed at Riu's in Jamaica, PV, and Mayan, and they all provide a consistent quality.

ETA; it does not seem like superclubs is a major player in Jamaica anymore.

Didn't they sell a majority of their properties?

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Riu being built in Mo Bay

Yes, they do provide a consistent quality...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Riu being built in Mo Bay

Bp: after 40 years in the construction business, the best way to judge a city's economic state is to "count the number of tower cranes". Last time At MBJ I didn't see but 3 or 4. Who else is spending that much $$$ on new construction.

That applies to the US also !!!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New Riu being built in Mo Bay

You too eh. I've been in ICI construction for the same time LOL.

I guess what I meant is that the RIU does not put anything back into the island as far as improving the infrastructure to service the properties they build on or community in which they build. They do not inject any cash into the island other than what goes to employees. All profits leave the island as opposed to the Issa family (Superclubs) who do the reverse, although they are in the process of divesting properties to other interested parties now.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New Riu being built in Mo Bay

Yes, I am really surprised and dismayed to see Suerclubs go, For many years it was also a "consistent quality" (in spite of recent events). "Was" is the key word here. But at least someone is building something !!!

"divesting properties to other interested parties" AKA "take the $$$ and run" !!! .LOL

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
244 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Riu being built in Mo Bay

The new riu is supposed to open in December. They are beginning the adults only concept. They have one in dr now. I think they realized they had to keep up w competitors.