We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don Way - New Entertainmnet/Dining Spot on the Hip Strip

J B
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
429 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Don Way - New Entertainmnet/Dining Spot on the Hip Strip

This new site offers outdoor casual dining with local dishes served -- including jerked meats and ackee and saltfish. I'm told by the staff the servings are plentiful and the meal prices are quite reasonable from what I saw of the menu.

There is a band area for entertainment, small craft shop of paintings and crafts made by local artists, wine cellar and ice cream/coffee shop. I've read that there is a hotel as well but I didn't see that when I visited.

It's located just across the street from Cornwall Beach.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 12:50
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don Way - New Entertainmnet/Dining Spot on the Hip Strip

Where exactly across from Cornwall Beach? I don't remember much being across the street.

J B
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
429 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don Way - New Entertainmnet/Dining Spot on the Hip Strip

It's on the right hand side of the street next door to the car rental place. It's new, so you're not going to remember seeing something new unless you've been there since December 15th when it opened. It's like a block from Toby's.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don Way - New Entertainmnet/Dining Spot on the Hip Strip

I know it's new. That's not what I meant. Unless it was just built from the ground up, most of those buildings have been around awhile.

So is it in the area of Strawberry's and the Fantasy Strip mall?

J B
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
429 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don Way - New Entertainmnet/Dining Spot on the Hip Strip

I sent you a video. Perhaps that will help. I'm sorry. I haven't learned the names of the surrounding buildings.

The buildings are newly built as far as I can see. It's not just a new occupant.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 14:12
Simcoe, Ontario
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Don Way - New Entertainmnet/Dining Spot on the Hip Strip

can u send me the video to JB as im going feb 11th and would like to check it out

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
828 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don Way - New Entertainmnet/Dining Spot on the Hip Strip

This is a new addition built onto an existing plaza on the Hip Strip. The plaza that was originally there faces on to The Hip Strip and has Chili Pepper restaurant, two cambios, a Digicel store, etc... The addition is on the east end of the plaza and is perpendicular to The Hip Strip. addition was built quickly over the late summer/early fall and opened recently.

I just returned from Montego Bay and spoke with a few people who had tried the restaurants there. The general consensus was that the food was mediocre and the prices high.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don Way - New Entertainmnet/Dining Spot on the Hip Strip

I read they can seat 1000+ for music events.

J B
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
429 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don Way - New Entertainmnet/Dining Spot on the Hip Strip

Hi. The video I have isn't really of the new spot. The person I was speaking with is familiar with the area and they know where it is. So that was the purpose of the video.

Just to clarify about the "restaurants". There is one small ice cream/coffee shop, small winery, a bar grill area and a band area. I was there on Saturday and they do not have a "permanent" menu. It's marked up as they just opened and I guess they're figuring it out. It's not a ritzy upscale place. It's just a casual outdoor area sort of like a large outdoor backyard concrete barbecue style place with seating tables and chairs off to the side. The cost of a meal was JA$500 (about US$6) I think the staff said, but they indicated that you receive a lot of food. The fruit drinks and water are like JA$40 to JA$60 more than what you would pay in the local supermarket.

Honestly, there's nothing really exciting about it. It's just a place to sit and eat, chat, read a book or surf the net. That's about it. It just opened up, so maybe things will get more interesting with entertainment. Who knows?.

Edited: 09 January 2013, 18:07
roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Don Way - New Entertainmnet/Dining Spot on the Hip Strip

J B do you know the status of the Native. I ate there on the last day back in Feb 2012 and it was hush until that day that they were closing. I hope the new owners kept is as it was amazing! I read someowhere a review that it was still open. Do you know>

PEACE!

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Don Way - New Entertainmnet/Dining Spot on the Hip Strip

I should add I have been going there for many many years!

PEACE!