We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location of Sunset Jamaica Grand and Sunset Beach Resort

Ohio
6 posts
Save Topic
Location of Sunset Jamaica Grand and Sunset Beach Resort

We are planning a trip to possibly the SSJG or SBR in May and I think the drive from the airport and the drive to things to do are going to be my deciding factor. We are coning with our 11 & 14 yr old and husbands parents. (Maybe the Riu Ochos Rios too) I know the drive to SSJG is quite lengthy but have seen it is close to the shopping area and straw market in Ocho Rios. Is that true? What is the SBR in MoBay close to?...Is it close to, or within walking distance to shopping? And how far would that be to activities like Dunn's River Falls?....Sorry for all the question, but I would appreciate any help. THANKS!

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location of Sunset Jamaica Grand and Sunset Beach Resort

If you want things within walking distance and to see Dunn's River Falls, I would recommend Sunset Jamaica Grande out of the two - SBR is closer to the airport, but it isn't really walking distance to much of anything - SJG is walking distance to town, the market (personally, I would avoid this), Margaritaville, even Dunn's River - Also if you have kids that age, you might want to check out Mystic Mountain in Ocho Rios - Ziplining and a bobsled ride, tons of fun!

The drive from the airport to Ochi is about an hour and a half -

Ohio
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Location of Sunset Jamaica Grand and Sunset Beach Resort

Great thanks! How do you feel about these resorts? It seems like you know a lot about the area and resorts...what is your opinion if them both, good or bad?

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
619 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Location of Sunset Jamaica Grand and Sunset Beach Resort

Go to the Riu Ocho Rios instead. Much better than either SJG or SSBR.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location of Sunset Jamaica Grand and Sunset Beach Resort

We've been to SSB several times. The specialty restaurants are very good, the buffet is fair to good, depending on the offering at the made to order station. They have a nice Spa, lots of activities and 2 waterslides plus a lazy river. The rooms were nice and updated. All that being said, it is a 3* resort, many complaints are from people expecting 5* everything. We always get a great deal and always have a great time.

It's 15 minutes from the airport. nothing walkable, 10 minutes to the Hip Strip for low end shopping, several bars including Margartiaville.

Never been to Sunset Grand so I can't comment on that.

Too Far North
Level Contributor
324 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location of Sunset Jamaica Grand and Sunset Beach Resort

The drive to Sunset Jamaica Grand is a fun, interesting drive although with kids it may seem long.

You will be right in a great place to walk around the area, be sure to visit The Falls and Margaritaville.

Sunset Beach in Montego Bay is my pick for this trip, it is only 15 min. from the airport and if I were bringing kids with me they would love the water park located there.

Edited: 24 January 2013, 23:22
Lake Villa
Level Contributor
329 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location of Sunset Jamaica Grand and Sunset Beach Resort

Been to Jamaica 13 times so I can speak with some experience. Sunset Beach Resort and Water Park is about 15 minutes (max.) from the airport. There is a small shopping mall near the resort where the cruise ships dock. Prices can jump on days that ships pull in. Buyer Beware!

Sunset Jamaican Grande in Ochio Rios is about 1.5 hours from the airport with a short smoke/restroom/beverage stop on the way. Resort is huge (two towers) and is also great for teens. My preference is Ochio Rios over MoBay because it seems to offer better shopping, and Dunns River Falls is not far from downtown.

If you are a beach person, I would pick Negril due to the 7 mile beach. Check out Grand Pineapple Beach Resort! Great location, nice facilities, small but more than adequate. Two parts to the resort (garden side and beach side) separated by the main road.

Have never stayed at RIU but have heard good things. Stayed 3 times at each of the Sunset resorts. Enjoy your trip. We will be back in Jamaica on 41413.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Location of Sunset Jamaica Grand and Sunset Beach Resort

Stayed at all three of the resorts you mention and the RIU was the nicest of the three. Our kids preferred SSJG when they were younger but the RIU as teenagers.

SSJG is literally downtown but the food is average at best. The beach at SBR is pretty poor and there isn't anything within walking distance. You can walk off the property at the RIU and get taxis into town cheaper than on resort.

Spend the extra hour on the bus and go to Ocho Rios or Negril, it is an interesting ride and the time goes by quickly.

Ohio
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Location of Sunset Jamaica Grand and Sunset Beach Resort

Thanks to everyone for your replies. We have chosen to say in Ocho Rios because of the location to things we want to do and the bus ride doesn't sound that bad. SSJG is the resort we are leaning toward for the kids. But the Riu is where we would like to stay, we just can't get a price we like....

One more question, is there a refrigerator in all the rooms at SSJG? I am gathering there might not be. I haven't seen anyone post about a stocked fridge and I sure like my pop. It would suprise me that there isn't but I am beginnig to think they are by request only. Does anyone know about the refrigerators? Thanks!

9. Re: Location of Sunset Jamaica Grand and Sunset Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2014, 06:19