We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please "No Mon No"

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help Please "No Mon No"

Hi,

I hope you can help me out with this one...

I read in this fourm something about "No mon No" (I hope the spelling is correct?).

It means .... No thank-you.... & or show me some respect... "it works to and the vendors will leave you alone"

Anyone have a link to this post?

Thank-you so very much.

Orillia Ontario
Level Contributor
218 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please "No Mon No"

A simple No Thank You will work. Do not say you will come back later because they will be waiting for you. Be firm and respectful. They are trying to make a living and depend very much on the tourist dollar. We go to Jamaica 3-4 times a year and have never encountered a negative situation.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please "No Mon No"

I've never heard of this "no mon no". It sounds disrespectful to me. As stated, if you don't want to buy or look at something a smile and a no thank you works just fine.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please "No Mon No"

What Tessamarie posts works. That's really all you need. I don't think "no mon no" will work any better.

calgary
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please "No Mon No"

I have no personal experience in Jamaica yet, but I think pronouncing it "mon" instead of man, could be seen as mockery. I would just say no. I know I will screw up and add a "gracias" at the end at least once.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please "No Mon No"

Not really. You'll hear "Yea Mon" all over. It's the "no mon no" that seems rude. Not the "mon" part.

And if you haven't been to Jamaica yet, here's a bit of help:

http://niceup.com/patois.html#dictionary

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please "No Mon No"

Wait for your second trip to Jamaica to act like a local or speak like one.

Everyonie will know your a "newbie" because you'll be fending off the sellers and asking questions at the desk.......

Just be yourself and speak like you normally do and were trained by your parents......

YES

NO

THANK YOU

NOT NOW

I WILL LOOK WHEN I RETURN

All Jamaican speak ENGLISH !! It may be the KINGS ENGLISH ---but English it is.

On your second trip --you will have the NO MON !!!!! Right down perfectly !!

Edited: 12 February 2013, 19:01
Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please "No Mon No"

"Wait for your second trip to Jamaica to act like a local or speak like one."

In 30 years of traveling to Jamaica I've never been anything but myself - which includes speaking patois, which I understand. Sure, colloquialism will slip out more and more as the weeks go by when I'm there but in general, I speak proper English as do my Jamaican friends so there's no confusion in communication ;)

As far as "acting" like a Jamaican, well - not sure exactly WHAT that means - I'm against stereotypes or labels.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Please "No Mon No"

visitors to Jamaica like to learn and do what they see done in speech and action in Jamaica.

Thus dreadlocks , NO mon No and patois learning and Reggae music.

Once you go you know about many things involving Jamaica and many folks will be copying them---THUS for instance the recent German Car ad on SUPER BOWL last week --with the Mid West Guy from AMERICA speaks to everyone and even gets the BOSS speaking --using Jamaican words , speech and sayings !!!!!

Thats what happens with REAL VISITORS to Jamaica....not necessarily with real Jamaicans themselves or those visiting and having deep roots or are JAMAICANS themselves.This strictly involves visitors there.

I gaurantee that after the first trip and before the second trip--they will be speaking to friends and copying hairstyles ---exactly like on the commerical.

You are very much behind the times.....That commercial for the car costs millions of dollars and has caused quite a stir all over the world.

Don't know why you neither have seen it nor understand what that means to Jamaican Travel.........If you call it or consider that " stereotype ' or "labels " ---I feel sorry for you...but then I have stated that fact before on several occasions.....You often seem to have NO IDEA whats going on these days right under your nose.

Read from Knowledgeable JAMAICAN PEOPLE............................................

…jamaicaobserver.com/news/Jamaica-capitalise…

Visitors to Jamaica AND those that have NEVER been..are now trying to speak and understand the Jamaican Languge AND travel to Jamaica to try and find out what its really all about !!

Ignorance is really a sad thing in this world...........

Edited: 13 February 2013, 02:57
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Please "No Mon No"

OH MY! I did not mean to up-set any one. So I am very sorry if I did.

I have been to Jamica before and I did find the a nice "No thank-you did not work very well. When I was walking past a shop an arm came out of the door, grabbed me and tried to pull me in the shop.... Freak me out... but I was not rude I just left the shop.

I did read twice on TA about this saying Or something like it and the poster did not know why it worked but it did. I then read an explaination on what it ment and it did not seem rude to me... it was more like "No thank-you please respect my position/answer/no thank-you.

Again I was not not trying to up set any one I just wanted some feed back. If you do not know the answer O.K.

In Mexico I was taught to say vendors "No Gracias, nada" or

"Nada Gracias"

"Nada" means "nothing" and can also be used when some one thanks-you for (fill in the balnk) you can reply with nada... in this case it means "it was nothing" = your welcome.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Please "No Mon No"

I have been to Jamaica several times and don't find myself talking or acting any different. I don't try to talk Jamaican, at least not around the resort. What little Patois I hear around the resort seems staged and done for the benefit of the tourist, unless it's two employees talking between themselves. And I see very few visitors who end up with dreads. Braids yes, but not dreads. So I don't know about all the "acting like a Jamaican" once you visit.

What constitutes a "Real" visitor?