We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Martha Brae River Tour

Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Martha Brae River Tour

Leaving in 4 more sleeps for RDMB, would really like to do the Martha Brae River Tour, has anyone done this? Thanks for any info!

Fort St-John BC
Level Contributor
644 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Martha Brae River Tour

Nothing Special!!!

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Martha Brae River Tour

A nice bamboo raft trip down a river! I would do it!!

I would also do the Glistening waters which is done at night. You can do both on the same day if you are not staying in Falmouth.

...anything in Jamaica is special :)

PEACE!

Winchester, CT
Level Contributor
8 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Martha Brae River Tour

Martha Brae River trip is very relaxing and pleasant. I would definitely not say it is nothing special. We went on it two different years with the same raft man. We hired a driver to bring us to the river raft entrance. They have a little guest area and offer a rum punch included in the price. You then walk down to the river and meet your raft man and get on the raft. You do not need to wear the life vests, just keep them behind your seat. He goes as slowly as you would like. If you have a good man he will tell you a lot of interesting information. Ours stopped by the river side, got off and came back with a wild bird of paradise flower for me. There are a few vendors along the way, but he will not stop if you do not want. Before you are done, he will stop and show you some carved casaba bowls to buy, again if you not interested in bargaining just politely say no thank you. We bought a very well carved one for $10. He signed and dated it. At the end you will get off at a shop. If you want to purchase a picture of your ride this is where to do it. Your driver will also pick you up here.

Things to bring: bug spray, sunglasses, hat, and a bag with some bottled water or soda. If you want to swing off a rope swing along the ride, wear your swim suit. If not, you will not get wet. We got to know our raft man well. We sent him fishing lures from home and brought him more when we went back. Good ones are expensive in Jamaica. Remember to tip the raft man well. They may make only two trips a day or three if they are lucky. They do not make much otherwise. It is a leisurely, enjoyable trip and really not far from RDMB. Also try to go in the morning and on a day when the cruise ship is not in town.

Read some of the reviews about it for more info.

Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Martha Brae River Tour

Thanks for the info, we will do the Martha Brae Tour, sounds so relaxing, and the Luminous Lagoons are also on the to do list, 3 more sleeps can't wait!!

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Martha Brae River Tour

Hello,

If I may suggest a alternate rafting destination, Mountain Valley River Rafting, in Lethe just outside of MoBay, about 30 mintues from RDMB. MVR is a small operation compared to Martha Brae. Martha Brae has gotten to commercialized for my taste. I do rafting every year with my friend "Kil-er" and always have a great time on the river! MVR today is what MB was 15 years ago, simple and peaceful.

Whichever one you choose, you will have a great time!

You mentioned that you will be at RDMB, my taxi driver "Zipp" can take you to either place. Zipp, works out of RDMB, just ask the guard shack or the front desk. If you should decide to do MVR, have Zipp call Kil-er to set up a ride. Tell Kil-er, that his "American brother" referred him.

Also, everything that AM380 said to bring is right on, I take a case of "Red Stripe" .

One final note; last year, we were on the river for over TWO HOURS, you won't to that at Martha Brae.

Take it nice and easy,

grac

(Gil)

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
857 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Martha Brae River Tour

Hi Grac- We had just noticed that Barrett was advertising the other River Rafting. Besides rafting longer, are there any other differences? Is it the same river/same speed? Do people try to sell things on both?

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Martha Brae River Tour

Hello,

Actually, both rides are probably close in distance. The big difference is Kil-er, all 6'7 and being born on the river!

As I wrote before Martha Brae has come too commercialized, heck, it now has a FAKE cemetery along the bank! MB has a craft mart that you have to walk thru, you can have your picture taken at the beginning and sold to you at the end. Ride is about 30-40 minutes long. Mountain Valley, with Kil-er, different story. First, nothing is sold on the river, you might find one guy, sitting on a cooler of Red Stripe ($2us). Kil-er knows all of the plants and birds on the river and will bring your lady flowers and may even give her a limestone pedicure scrub (which keeps the bugs away). He will stop for Kodak moments and may take you up to a private garden along the way.

Just make sure you tell him that Gil sent you and you will be given extra special treatment and time on the river. Tip him well, these raft captains only get a few trips a week.

Take it nice and easy.

grac

(Gil)

Edited: 18 February 2013, 14:26
Fort St-John BC
Level Contributor
644 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Martha Brae River Tour

The reason I mentioned nothing special is because yes it got to commercial and also some of the guide and I must say not all of them, but some will try to con you by selling way overprice pottery and tell you lies about their family that is not even true, we went for the relaxing moment but turned our a one hour of begging for money. And again I must specify its not all the guide that is like this. This is a forum and I think this information should be passed on. Enjoy your trip and I highly recommend the glistening waters.

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
857 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Martha Brae River Tour

Just fyi- I asked Barrett Adventures about these two tours and Carolyn told me that due to the drought, the water level isn't high enough to do rafting right now, and likely won't be next month either.

Toronto
Level Contributor
451 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Martha Brae River Tour

Martha Brae may be commercialized, but i found it a beautiful scenic ride none the less, you get to see alot of the vegetation and it is really cool.

If you don't want to buy anything from the vendors just say no thank you! that's all. You can't expect to go to major tourist destinations and not get haggled at least once by the locals, that's how most make their living.

To each their own.