We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luminous Lagoon

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miller Place, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Luminous Lagoon

I read a few things on this board about the lagoon, and I would really like to get some more information on it. How far is it from Mo bay (Im staying at the halfmoon) what time do the excursions start, how expensive, etc. Im only going for 3 nights so im trying to come up with some fun excursions to do that are close by and hopefully night time so as not to waste the precious few day time hours we have. I'm def planning on going to Margaretaville and maybe even the haunted plantation if its not tooo cheesy.

Ive been to Ochos Rios and Negril before, so needless to say I have done Dunns River before, but my boyfriend has not. I also read on here that there was another fall to climb closer to MB. More info on that would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,876 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luminous Lagoon

Luminous Lagoon is probably a half hour from Half Moon, to the east, near Falmouth. The boat trip was $10 per person last time I was there, and included a drink. There is a fairly expensive (by JA standards) restaurant there and if you eat there i htink you get a deal on the boat. The boat ride is maybe an hour, you have an opportunity to swim. It's very cool, try to go when the moon is small or it is very cloudy, when the moon is bright it's hard to see the glow.

Closer falls to MoBay would be Mayfield or YS (YS about the same as Dunns, actually, 2 hours). You won't find the Dunns crowds at either one, both are in or at the edge of mountains and much less crowded and much more relaxing.

Miller Place, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luminous Lagoon

Thanks! are both waterfalls 2 hours from MB? Or just the one?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,876 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luminous Lagoon

I'd guess Mayfield is more like an hour and a half.

Here are some pics from last month...don't be swayed by the large crowd, 27 of us went together, it's all our group. normally you are alone, (with a guide) or close to it.

…hookahheads.com/gallery/… - and the two next pages of that album.

Miller Place, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luminous Lagoon

It looks like you had alot of fun! Do you reccomend it even for a short trip? Also, do you know what time they begin tours, Im guessing the earlier we can get there the better!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luminous Lagoon

The lagoon was $15 each as of December. If you eat at the restaurant you can get the tickets for $8 each. We ate at the restuarant and it was pretty decent. Maybe a tad overpriced but for what we saved on the tickets we still felt like we came out ahead on the deal. They have an extensive menu. You can see the menu online on their website.

The boat goes out about every 30-45 minutes so your wait won't be too long. Both times I've been there was only one boat running but there are two boats there.

As Liz sayed go on a night when it's very overcast or cloudy, not on a full moon. This helps to see the glowing effects much better.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,876 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luminous Lagoon

I'm not sure wha titme they open but most drivers would probably know. Yes, it's lovely...very different experience from the beach. Our river guide was Sheldon and we liked him a lot.

Sorry on the boat price, I was last there in Oct 2004.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luminous Lagoon

Hi Mouseny,

Another couple of nearby attractions you might find interesting are :

The Rockland Bird Sanctuary where you can feed hummingbirds from your bare hands.

The Mobay Undersea Adventure (a semi-submerged submarine ride along reef)

Charles Swaby's Swamp Safari (parts of Live and Liet Die James Bond was filmed here, LOTS of Alligators)

All three sites are within a half hour or less of Half Moon.

Blessings and respect to you. ENJOY!

Steve

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
993 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luminous Lagoon

JamaicaSteve -

Can you tell me more about Rocklands Bird Sanctuary and the Alligator place? I am considering hitting the Rocklands Bird Sanctuary on my way to Negirl and maybe the Alligator place while we are at the Starfish. More likely Green Grotto Cave and Dunns River Falls though...

PL

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luminous Lagoon

Hi PL,

I too would most likely opt for Green Grotto/Dunns over the other two, but all are definately worth a visit!

Rocklands is just South of Montego Bay and it's not a really "large" place so you can definately "fit it in" with other outings. It's also not expensive (I think it was $8 pp last I knew) and the Doctor Birds are spectacular!

The Alligator Park is now owned by Charles Swaby (sp) but it's been there for many years. It too is not a large place nor expensive so it can also be combined. You'll see on sign on the right on the way to Starfish from Mobay. There are a few land animals, some large snakes and lizards to hold for photos etc. and lots of Gators. you'll see the factory where they were supposed to be producing cocaine in the Bond movie Live and Let Die and the tiny island surrounded by alligators that JB had to escape from by running across their backs... It's a fun little place.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

10. Re: Luminous Lagoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 22:18