We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We Love The Carlyle

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
We Love The Carlyle

However, isn't it about time (some will say long overdue) that Sandals addresses the nasty conditions and complaints of the 1st and 2nd floor rooms?

A few years ago Sandals upgraded the third floor with new tile flooring, new air conditioning units, new bathrooms and new furniture. Discussions then were that the following year they would be upgrading the lower floors. Years have passed and nothing has been done.

Sandals Carlyle is a lovely small and intimate resort. However, Sandals is diminishing the whole brand by offering motel-like accommodations to their patrons.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We Love The Carlyle

We stayed on the top floor and didn't see the lower floor rooms other than an occasional peek when the doors were open. Also haven't read the reviews to know about the complaints on these rooms.

What I would like to see replaced are the loungers at the pool!

This is the least expensive Sandals, more like a motor inn, though it is small and intimate with great food and a very nice staff. We were glad we tried it, but it is unlikely we will stay there again (though never say never).

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We Love The Carlyle

I have never stayed there, however I must say I feel like the word "condition" is subjective. I just got done reading a review for SRC or SMB (cant remember which) the person basically showed up expecting an upgrade from the room they CHOSE & PAID FOR. But yet they immediately asked for one, and the proceeded to complain about every room they had and were moved to until they got to concierge. Saying rooms were dated, in need of remodeling and fixing ect ect. I feel like Sandals does its best to constantly improve their brand but you will always have some people that go looking for problems to complain about. Personally, ,y husband and I feel we did not pay thousands of dollars to fly to Jamaica and stare at a room so we do not care if the decor is old or anything like that. As long as everything works and everything is sanitary, we don't care. But everyone has different opinions and standards of accommodations so I feel like its a battle, Sandals can never win.

although I have never stayed at the Carlyle, from the perspective of a casual observer reading the reviews it seems the majority of complaints are more centered around the location of the hotel and the misleading advertising for the beach.

Canterbury...
Level Contributor
842 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We Love The Carlyle

I was torn between another trip to Puerto Rico and Sandal's...opted for 5 nights at the Carlyle in May. I find it difficult to believe that the conditions of the rooms are "nasty".

Of all the great reviews, it appears that from some of the poor reviews, it's the noise from the locals are the main complaint....but it's Jamaica and it's their public beach. I cannot understand how people who visit the Inn does not know what to expect...especially with the internet and TA reviews. :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We Love The Carlyle

And yes, the pool loungers need to be replaced. No matter what we tried it was impossible to get comfortable. At the very least lounge cushions would help.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We Love The Carlyle

I think the review Rachael read was for SMB, and I read it last night. Since they looked at like 10 rooms, they were obviously just looking for an upgrade. LOL!

Anyway, while I don't care too much about the room either, and don't stay in it very much, it should be in acceptable condition. The A/C should work without keeping you up at night. The comforter should be clean, but also in good shape. It shouldn't look like its been on the bed for 10 years, even if it has. I haven't stayed at the Carlyle, but I look back on my SGR pictures before the renovation in 09, and it really, really needed updated! Even at the time, I remember the curtains and the bedspread bothering me. They were an awful tropical print, and then the chair in the room was this palm tree leaf type print. All of it looked like it had been around awhile. And while the room was clean, and obviously fine in every other way since I've gone back there many other times, the rooms are like 1,000 times better now that they've updated the furniture and the linens. Sometime the rooms just need some kind of update to keep them fresh.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We Love The Carlyle

Another take on the Carlyle. We love the Carlyle restaurant. Even though we stay at SRC because that's our favorite property...we always make one visit to the Carlyle Restaurant for the bananas foster. Just don't get too close to the flames!

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We Love The Carlyle

Since the topic is "We Love The Carlyle", we can easily say that's true for us, having stayed there frequently over the past four years. However, this year, we were unable to visit. Most people agree that the best feature of the Carlyle is the staff. Here's a question for someone who has stayed there more than once, including this year. We have always enjoyed our conversations with "the two Pauls". One Paul arrives early in the morning, raises the flags, and quietly goes about his duties. The other Paul is often referred to as "Paul the Governor" because of his distinctive hat. He actually lived at the hotel and would make his appearance in the afternoon, keeping busy until well into the evening. Reviews this year are only referring to one Paul. Can anyone enlighten us about whether they are both still there? Anyone who has met them certainly knows who we are talking about.

8. Re: We Love The Carlyle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 07:16