We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets WO Location

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
172 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets WO Location

Booked 7 nts at SWO in a couple of weeks.

Can anyone tell me if there is much going on outside of the resort? Any local bars or restaurants worth a visit to break up our stay at the resort, and would they be walking distance?

Any other tips much appreciated

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets WO Location

Cant really answer about outside of the resort but I can tell you the entertainment on site is the best of any other AI destination we have been to. The music is really good and the shows are not corny like in mexico or in the DR. It is a really nice place and there are plenty of people and bars on site. If you wanted to leave the resort for a different feel I would have to imagine a trip to Negril Ricks Café or the shuttle to Margaritaville would be in the cards. I did not see to many spots on the ride in that looked "tourist friendly". I may be wrong but gut instinct would say no to the idea of walking to a near by bar. Again I always lean on the side of caution.

United States
Level Contributor
10,994 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets WO Location

"Can anyone tell me if there is much going on outside of the resort?"

Montego is one of the main tourist cities of Jamaica. There is a lot going on outside the resort. See the following for some ideas

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147311-d147504/Monte…

"Any local bars or restaurants worth a visit to break up our stay at the resort"

For some ideas see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147311-s504/Montego-…

"would they be walking distance?"

Secrets is located on a small spit of land that extends into the middle of the body of water named "Montego Bay". From Secrets it is about a 2 mile walk to anything other than the port area. You should consider taking a taxi to almost anywhere in the city.

London
Level Contributor
172 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets WO Location

Thanks for the responses, bit of a shame the strip isnt walking distance but the taxi doesnt sound like a long ride.

Thanks also for the post on entertainment, i guess i am concerned about 'cheesy' hotel entainment, i much prefer a low key local band, so hope the resort isnt too 'try hard' on this front

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets WO Location

Secrets is right beside Sunset Beach Resort.

The only thing within walking distance may be the Montego Bay Yacht club.

You will probably need to take a taxi whereever you go. Just an fyi, don't get a taxi at Secrets. Walk outside, and down the street and find one there, you will save yourself some money.

There are a few different bars around you and different places to eat. Definitely leave the resort for a little while. And it is safe to leave the resort.

wikimapia.org/…20Bay

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets WO Location

They had a local reggae cover band a few nights(thought they were great). Steel drum band one night. Seems like they had some dancers one night too. plus they play music all night and day in and around the bars, pools, and lounges. Like I said im sure you kind find plenty off the resort but you are opened up to another level of danger at night. That is with any place you travel not specific to MoBay.

Boston
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets WO Location

Anyone has visited MegaMart? How far is it from SWO? How much does it cost to take a cab to get there?

United States
Level Contributor
10,994 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets WO Location

"How far is it from SWO?"

MegaMart is the closest shopping to Secrets. It is just under 2 miles one way.

Boston
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets WO Location

Thanks thevinnie! How much will it cost to take a taxi to MegaMart?

9. Re: Secrets WO Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 05:16