We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Down to a list of 3 hotels. Any advice?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle,England
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Down to a list of 3 hotels. Any advice?

Having deliberated over a holiday to Jamaica for the past 2 years, my partner and I have now decided this is where we want our next vacation. The only thing now is to decide on which hotel, of which we have it down to 3. Can anyone who has been to more than one of these please give us any advice.

We are in our mid forties and want an adults only hotel. We do not usually partake in sports activities, with the exception of maybe a catamaran tour and a little snorkling. We do like a decent social atmosphere, and also like to visit local bars/restaurants occasionally. Our last 2 holidays have been to Excellence Playa Mujeres in Cancun, which is perfect for us.The resorts we have selected, and my initial impressions are.

Secrets Wild Orchid - Seems to have the best rooms, no reservation restaurants, and short distance to airport. However, the beach does not seem upto much, and I am concerned as to having to be up very early to get some shade. Nightlife appears to be good.

Couples Swept Away - The best beach by far, with many local bars nearby, and a true Caribbean feel However, the hotel and rooms in particular seem very outdated. There have been many average/ disappointing reviews for this lately. Nightlife seems sedate, but at least you have other options nearby.

Iberostar Grand Rose Hall - Seems to offer a compromise between both of the above. A better beach than SWO, but not as good as CSA. Reservations required other than the buffet, although it appears a concierge will make those for you. Cannot determine what the nightlife is like here, but I know you can use the nightclub next door.

Unfortunately, beachside bars at all of these resorts seem to close early in the evening, which is a shame. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Down to a list of 3 hotels. Any advice?

we had the same problem but after doing a lot of research and speaking to friends who have been to Jamaica, we chose secrets...we go in September and must admit I am impressed already as I have e-mailed them with questions and replied very promptly. I'm sure you will enjoy it where ever you choose to stay.

Midlothian, IL
Level Contributor
393 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Down to a list of 3 hotels. Any advice?

Definately pick Secrets!!! You will get everything you want there and the nightlife is excellent. Great rooms, great good/drink, beautiful property and the staff are INCREDIBLE!!! We went in December and are going back again this December. The pools are awesome and the beach is not bad. We always were able to get shade.

I've stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres twice and love it as well. I liked Secrets even better!! TRUST ME!! Read my review.

Kim

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Down to a list of 3 hotels. Any advice?

Are you wanting to stay in Montego Bay or does it matter? I'm curious because this is posted in the Montego Bay forum and two of these resorts are in Montego Bay but one is in Negril. I'm also curious with these choices, why Sandal's is off the list? It seems like it should be one of those included.

I don't think you would go wrong at any of the choices on your list...

Newcastle,England
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Down to a list of 3 hotels. Any advice?

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I'm not sure as to which resort. As long as it has good facilities, a good beach, and nearby attractions, then I'm not really bothered.

I have posted on both forums as I would expect those on the Negril forum to recommend CSA, and those on the Montego Bay forum to recommend one of the others.

We will be staying for 14 nights, so I have not considered Sandals, as I think it may be out of our price range.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Down to a list of 3 hotels. Any advice?

I would go with Couples and then the Ibersostar Grand. Would choose being on the beach in Negril verus Mo Bay or Rose Hall. The IB and Secrets are really isolated with nowhere to walk to.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Down to a list of 3 hotels. Any advice?

For 14 nights, why not a split? 7 at CSA and 7 at Iberostar? Or something like that?

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Down to a list of 3 hotels. Any advice?

I agree with Anod, I would do a split. 7 days at Iberostar and 7 days at CSA.

For me, I would not want to stay at Secrets, although I like the chain, have stayed at their properties in Mexico, I do not like the beach in MoBay (it is man made) and I don't really care for the size.

8. Re: Down to a list of 3 hotels. Any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 05:17