We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Sunspree-Not too happy now with this resort!

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Egg Harbor...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Sunspree-Not too happy now with this resort!

Hi all!

Our family of 4 will be staying here the end of June. This will be our first trip visiting Jamaica. I'm not feeling good at all about our pick to stay at this resort. Of course, I did read up on the reviews before booking this trip & for the most part they were all pretty good with the exception of 1 or 2 of them. The problem is that lately the reviews have been absolutely TERRIBLE! Has anyone stayed here recently & had a good time. I know there is not much I can do now because we already paid for 1/2 through Cheap Caribbean!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree-Not too happy now with this resort!

I just read through some of the reviews. I don't think I'd be too worried. Everything is relative. What one person thinks as rude staff, someone else won't think twice about. Same with food, what one person thinks is lousy, other people will like. Go with an open mind and a good attitude. 95% of a vacation is your attitude toward things.

It also seem like of the resorts like HI go through phases with their reviews. There will be a bunch of good ones, with a bad one mixed and then some bad ones and the process repeats. I wouldn't worry too much. go and have fun

Egg Harbor...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree-Not too happy now with this resort!

Thank you! I think I needed to be reminded. That's exactly how I felt since we booked this vacation. It's definitely what you make of it!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree-Not too happy now with this resort!

Funny enough I have been having the same worries, we are going in 3 weeks and read the reviews on a daily basis ( sad I know) but its our first time to jamaica and I like to read peoples reviews and thoughts.. I keep telling myself that it is as much us as the resort that makes a good holiday, also treating the staff with respect and not just a worker makes a big difference..we will be going with an open mind, the first time we arrived in barbados I wanted to go home,, 12 trips later and I still love that place x hopefully it will be simular..

Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree-Not too happy now with this resort!

My friend stayed here twice and loved it

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
397 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree-Not too happy now with this resort!

We were there in 07 and had a blast. We will be there again on May 31st and am expecting a great time again. It's our 8th to Jamaica and every time I've read bad reviews about staff at places We've stayed, I believe has to do with the way the staff were treated to start.The people of Jamaica have ALWAYS treated me great, maybe it's because I treat them with respect to start. Also, like Anod, mentioned, people have different food tastes but I believe with all of the available food if you can't find SOMETHING you like you're just trying to find something to complain about. just my opinion.

12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree-Not too happy now with this resort!

I was here in October '12 and had a great time we loved the food had a clean room, bathroom was clean had a tub and hot water. My only real complaint is that the night life sucks not that its stopping us from going back to the HI in October. I found the staff really nice no they dont all stop to say hi and they shouldnt have to or be expected to , if you say hello to a worker they will say hi back I know at my work im not always the nicest I could be .just keep in mind your on vacation an enjoy beautiful Jamaica oh yea the water isnt great but I liked the beach I never went in to the pool so I cant say anything anout them but if you want to swim in the sea just head down to dr cave or cove cannot remember the name the cab shouldnt cost to much. Hope this helped if you have any other question ill try and help. I loved HI

East Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree-Not too happy now with this resort!

I'm going from 6/7 to 6/10 and while the bad reviews seem to be coming in lately I'm not too worried. The problem is people are going here expecting to be waited on hand and foot as if it were some posh 5 star resort, but it's not, and that's not what the price reflects either. Like the other posters have mentioned, remember you're on vacation and in Jamiaca, so everything is on island time. Take it as you go, and enjoy yourself!

Mint Hill, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree-Not too happy now with this resort!

I will be going in 3 weeks as well and normally don't stay places without a recommendation. I hope that you have a great experience.

Egg Harbor...
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree-Not too happy now with this resort!

Hi Jennifer - glad I'm not the only one that is obsessed with reading reviews! To all of you that are staying there soon, please leave feedback & have a wonderful vacation. I'm going with an open mind & cannot wait to spend quality time with my husband & kids!

HuntingtonWV
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree-Not too happy now with this resort!

I'm going at the end of June and have been very discouraged by the reviews. I don't really need or want anyone to fuss over me, so the reports of dismissive/rude staff don't bother me too much, but I'm really worried about being bored now. I knew the beach was extremely shallow, but I've read that the pools (even the adult pool) are no more than waist deep and close by 5-6 pm. If the ocean is weedy, the pools close early and the wifi is crappy (which I've also read in many reviews), it seems like there's not really much to do in the evening if you're not into their entertainment.

Hopefully I'm just overthinking it.