We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril or Montego Bay??

Manitoba
Level Contributor
344 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Negril or Montego Bay??

We are looking at booking 2 weeks in Jamaica for Winter 2014 and not sure which are to book in Montego Bay or Negril??? Safety issues in one place versus the other??? Hotel recommendations for both??? Thanks.

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril or Montego Bay??

If you are looking to relax and get away from it all, Negril would be my vote. It's so relaxed here and the people are really nice. You can pretty much take a cab from place to place with no problem. There are a few nice cottages here if you want to go the laid back role or you could find an all inclusive at Couples..

United States
Level Contributor
11,483 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril or Montego Bay??

See the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c182778/Jamai…

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril or Montego Bay??

Negril I hear is really the heart of Jamaica. very relaxed and has some of the best and longest beaches at the resorts. However it is a 90 minute drive minimum both ways so you are loosing anywhere from 3 or more hours of your vacation time (depending on the shuttles taking you to and from the airport) so that would be the only drawback. Montego Bay allows you to start your vacation right away. Both locations are close to tourist attractions, shopping and excursions.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
247 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril or Montego Bay??

I'd recommend Coco La Palm in Negril. Great hotel, with a great staff, and perfect location on the beach. The ride form the airport is actually kind of fun. Have a cold Red Stripe (or two) and enjoy the ride.

west virginia
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril or Montego Bay??

If you were going for 3 or 4 days I'd say Montego Bay, 5 to 20 minutes travel to the resort.

For 2 weeks go to Negril. The hour and a half travel time won't matter and you'll be able to see the sights up and down the beach at a leisurely pace. 2 Weeks in Mo'Bay you'll have been there, done that, got the t-shirt, after the first week.

Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril or Montego Bay??

Montego Bay for a more relax stay. You may want to try this lovely Villa tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g147311…

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril or Montego Bay??

Yakie

With 14 nights you could easily split your stay between Montego Bay and Negril or a split between 2 resorts in Negril (our usual plan, we make bee line towards Negril). Personally, I think 14 nights at the same resort could become mundane during the second week, but just my opinion. It is fun to switch things up.

In order for us to recommend either area or a resort more information is needed to guide you in the right direction.

All inclusive or non inclusive?

Small or large resort? Luxury, moderate or economy?

Traveling as a couple, adult friends, family with children, etc?

What are your priorities - beach, pools, excursions, activities, watersports, romance, relaxation, nightlife, etc.?

thunder bay
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril or Montego Bay??

Yakie, You should consider Negril for a two week stay without a doubt. Look at Riu Negril on the high but all inclusive end and Samsara on the cliffs for a more moderate price.Mo Bay has the airport but the ride to Negril is worth the extra time.

thunder bay
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negril or Montego Bay??

Yakie, You should consider Negril for a two week stay without a doubt. Look at Riu Negril on the high but all inclusive end and Samsara on the cliffs for a more moderate price.Mo Bay has the airport but the ride to Negril is worth the extra time.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
344 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negril or Montego Bay??

THanks to all for the great info!