We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royalton White Sands?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork
Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Royalton White Sands?

Did anyone book to stay at the Royalton White Sands for October / November time?

Alberta
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
201. Re: Royalton White Sands?

Thank you Colin A! I didn't partake of the vegetation either, and I enjoyed the food as well. There were four of us travelling together, all with different tastes, and we all found something to like in the way of food.

6 posts
Save Reply
202. Re: Royalton White Sands?

Where to start!!! We just returned last night from a week at this 5 star want to be resort. From the get go it was chaotic!! Although there is an overabundance of staff at the front desk, only one person was actually completing the check in process on the singular computer terminal available. Therefore, the check in took 2 1/2 hrs, the staff have a very limited knowledge of the rooms and facilities therein. Our reservation was for a Luxury Jacuzzi suite with a note specifically requesting a swim out with king size bed. Unfortunately, although they had received our reservation, the note did not make it to the front desk...so we ended up with just the Jacuzzi suite with an ocean view. The staff informed me that the Jacuzzi was on the deck...not!!!

So after a 10 hrs travel day and an overly long stop over in the resort lobby...we finally entered our suite to discover that the suite is a fairly small room without any living room area (as we are accustom to in a luxury suite), the bathroom is equipped with a single sink (rather than two), a separate shower with a huge tropical rain shower head (a+), a separate toilet area equipped with a fan and a solid door and an indoor Jacuzzi, which is in reality a fairly small therapeutic bath (air jet at the bottom) in which my husband could barely fit (he is a 5foot 8 inches fairly slim man). Cold water was not available for both the sink and the Jacuzzi and there was a very strong sewage smell in the toilet area.

The room also had a nice larger than most balcony. Unfortunately, while we had a very nice view of the resort inner court yard and pools, we could barely see the ocean as the palm trees limited the view (the suite was on the second floor). There was no phone in the room and the small fridge contains only two beer, one orange crush, one coke and three 330ml water bottles.

On the following morning (Saturday 30 Nov) we advised the front desk that there was no phone in the room, that there was no cold water in neither the sink or the bath and that the bathroom had a very strong sewage smell. And we went about enjoying the beautiful pool area. We returned to our room at the end of the day, greeted by an even stronger sewage smell, no cold water and a phone, which was actually not connected...On Sunday morning, we shared our frustration with both the Sunwing rep and the front desk manager who informed us that there was no phone services at the resort (a small detail that the desk clerk forgot to mention the day before), as for the rest of the shortfalls they would look into it.

By end of our second day of frustration and run around, we decided my husband and I that there was no sense in ruining our vacation and that we should start relaxing. So we decided to take a nice quality time in our Jacuzzi. So we filled the bath with hot water and used one of the garbage can from the room to collect cold water from the shower to dump in the bath to reduce the water temperature. I slipped into the hot water and then my hubby pressed on the start button...to discover that the @#%$^& Jacuzzi did not work.... Needless to say we returned once again to the front desk...In the end, the cold water problem was fixed for the bath on day 4 and never for the sink, the smell problem was partially resolved on day 5 but came back on day 6 and the Jacuzzi was fixed on day 6 and we never did get a phone...

Aware that the resort was in its launching/opening phase we expected glitches and kinks but still expected a 5 star customer approach on the part of the staff in general and certainly from the management staff. Overall, while the employees are polite, few are forthcoming and service oriented to the level they should be. Some actually project, through there body language, that they would much rather be elsewhere. Training is required, that it be in the dining area, the pool side bar personnel and life guards and anywhere else for that matter. In our view, the staff cannot be blamed, management is at fault for not having prepared and provided the proper tools to their employees. Most of all however is the prevailing lack of follow through, follow up and transparency by management that was the most frustrating element and which, for us, was a clear indication that this is not a 5 star resort, as it claims to be.

We heard a number of horror stories while we were there...falling glass, an assigned family suite to a family of 4, knowing that the toilet and shower in the suite did not work, a bed head board that was improperly secured to the wall and fell, injuring the occupant as it did so....to note but a few.

On the plus side the food is very good even though the variety could be improved. The steak house is a must go, the Italian is ok if you want to select the same or similar type of food you have seen in your plate all week and the Japanese is quite popular and lively.

For us it was a first and last experience as we believe that the gap to achieve a true 5 star is beyond the capacity and know how of this resort. While the structure can be eventually made to meet all the 5 star standards, what makes an establishment a true 5 star is the manner in which guests are treated by staff members at all level, either directly or peripherally. It is interesting to note that you can be in a 3 or 4 star resort and be treated with a 5 star customer services approach and feel like a queen or king and have fond memories of your stay. For us, we are not about to forget our experience at this resort and we have barred it from our list of places to return.

To like or dislike something is a very personal perspective and opinion. The decision to go or not is also very personal. However, if at all possible, we would recommend postponing/delaying until such a time that the facilities are in full operation and that the basic management of the resort has improved....

Shallow Lake
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
203. Re: Royalton White Sands?

don't bother wasting your money. My husband and I just returned from the royalton white sands in montego bay stayed there from Nov 30th til Dec 7th it was the worst vacation we have ever had. The resort is in chaos no organization to speak of. No entertainment or daily activities. The rooms are like closets at best. The food was average.

Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
204. Re: Royalton White Sands?

If someone has actual pictures of the insides of the rooms could you please email them to me keithagreen@hotmail.com

Thanks

Keitha

Alberta
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
205. Re: Royalton White Sands?

Keitha have you been on the Facebook group? Not the official one for Royalton, but the one for people who have stayed there, or are planning to. They have pictures on there.

United States
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
206. Re: Royalton White Sands?

For some photos of the rooms at the Royalton White Sands see the following

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147311-d471883…

Click on 'traveler photos' at the left about half way down the screen. Then scan thru the various photos.

Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
207. Re: Royalton White Sands?

Thanks princess and thevinnie!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
208. Re: Royalton White Sands?

Just got back a few days ago....my advice to anyone that is thinking about this place is to read my review (a lot of the others) first...worst vacation ever (and I've been to a LOT of all inclusive resorts)

Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
209. Re: Royalton White Sands?

Isn't it getting any better? I mean they have been open since last month. There must be some improvements. I just don't know how there can be such conflicting opinions. I have talked to a few people who just got back and said they had a great time. I guess it's all in the state of mind you go down with. I don't know I'm trying to be positive. I leave to go down feb 24 and I'm hoping by then things will be better. I plan on going down with a positive attitude.

Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
210. Re: Royalton White Sands?

Did you go on any excursions that you would recommend?