We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desparately need advice on which Sandals!!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Desparately need advice on which Sandals!!

Want to go to one of the Sandals in Montego Bay in Dec but which one. Our BIGGEST must have is BEACH and the WATER. I don't want to be stuck in tons if seaweed (like Sandals Negril where the weeds are actually stuck in bottom and you can't go past your knees to swim). We are water people, not pool people at all and would love to have opinions from other travelers about water.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desparately need advice on which Sandals!!

Sandals Montego Bay sounds like the best for you. They often have complaints that their pool is "too small" but they have the largest private beach of the three on Montego Bay. Plus you will have the options to enjoy all the dining, drinking, activities and amenities at the other 2 nearby sandals resorts. So really when it comes to Montego bay sandals resorts, you don't have to chose which one to enjoy, you only have to chose which one you want to sleep and wake up at lol. Since the pool doesn't matter to you then I imagine it won't bother you if its small.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 00:33
nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desparately need advice on which Sandals!!

Sens, I read you have been to Couples Swept Away twice and Sandals Whitehouse. We are beach people too and loved both those stretches of beach and agree to some extent that the water at Sandals Negril with its seagrass can be a bit annoying, but beach-wise very nice.

Given that and that you want Sandals in Mobay, I suggest Sandals Montego Bay as its beach is much better than Sandals Royal Caribbean and Carlyle does not even deserve beach mention.

You will read complaints of SMB about the airplane noise; it also exists at SRC. Neither resort have great pool areas like that of Whitehouse, but being beach folks, it won't much matter.

Regardless of where you stay, you can still stay at one and play at all 3 in MoBay with comp transfers!

The Island at SRC is over-rated in our opinion unless you want a clothing optional environment. The beach/water is pebbly and rocky but snorkelling is good!

We found nightlife (not that we are up late all the time!), to be better at SMB. I found the main beach area at SRC too reminiscent of a cruise ship with loungers on top of each other; not so much at SMB.

Getting shade at either resort was not a problem; I am an early riser and beat most Butlers to the palapas!

Whatever you chose, enjoy!

PS ... we are Leafs/Canadiens fans but were shocked about Alfie going to Detroit - hope this works out for the Sens!

Edited: 15 July 2013, 00:39
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desparately need advice on which Sandals!!

Denise is spot on in her summary about SMB and SRC and I also recommend SMB for your specific requirements.

We, too, rate beach as a high priority and not just for sitting on but for long walks and great swimming. For us, that means Negril and we opt for Couples Swept Away as our first choice and then Couples Negril.

We are headed to Negril on Friday and booked for Sandals Negril for a couple of nights then we will be moving to Couples, as they were not available for all of the nights we will be there (we are still hoping to get all nights confirmed at Couples). I am not a fan of sea grass and know that the beach at SN is pretty eroded these days (saw it last year while we were at Couples).

We spend most of our day on the beach and in the ocean, swimming and floating, so the beach AND water conditions are both really important to us. Can't wait for a few days on gorgeous 7 Mile Beach :)

Edited: 15 July 2013, 10:54
Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Desparately need advice on which Sandals!!

We have been to Sandals Montego Bay 3 times. Absolutely love it!!! If you can afford the Bay Roc Villas go for it. The plane noise last only seconds and after a while you are so accustomed to it you do not even pay attention, The staff at SMB are great!!!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desparately need advice on which Sandals!!

Sens: We are unabashed shills for Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island. If you would like to receive a Powerpoint presentation my wife and I put together describing the SRC experience, just send me a TripAdvisor private message with an appropriate email address to send it along too. We feel the SRC private island is a great feature. The vibe there is total relaxation, no music, no playmakers, no activities, NOTHING happens out there...just what we're after in our vacation!

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Desparately need advice on which Sandals!!

I would also agree that for beach lovers, Sandals Montego Bay would be the best choice. We have been to Sandals Negril, Whitehouse, SRC and SMB. SMB has a great beach and the staff are second to none. The Bay Roc Villas are a great location as well. We thought SRC was nice but also thought the island was overrated. The sand at SMB is also much softer than SRC which had lots of small shells on it.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Desparately need advice on which Sandals!!

I would pick SMB for the beach. I definitely think their pools are lacking, but the beach is long and walkable. And you can go visit SRC and use that beach and the private island, as well.

Wallingford, CT
Level Contributor
154 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Desparately need advice on which Sandals!!

Personally, I love SRC--it's smaller, quieter, and more laid-back--but if the beach is a major point for you, then you should probably go with SMB. The SRC beach is pretty small, and the private island beach areas are miniscule. (That being said--I love SRC!!!) As others have suggested, it's easy to resort-hop.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Desparately need advice on which Sandals!!

Going to Montego Bay this fall, my question how far are the other 2 resorts for the play at 3 option. Is it a long trip or just right down the road?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Desparately need advice on which Sandals!!

SRC and Mo' Bay are literally on the same road separated by maybe 3 miles. SCI is more into the city. Maybe 5 miles from Mo' Bay. A bit further for SRC.