We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirTran baggage fees?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampden...
Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
AirTran baggage fees?

I just booked my first trip to Jamaica. Flying Southwest BDL to BW, then AirTran to MBJ. Their website is a little unclear. It states that there's a $25 fee for the first checked bag, but since half the flight is Southwest, I'm hoping there won't be a charge.

Has anyone else done this and were there any baggage fees?

Thanks!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AirTran baggage fees?

I didn't end up doing it, but if you look on the website, it says if any portion of your itinerary is SW, they honor the no bag fees policy. I don't have 100% confidence in that, so I wouldn't get too excited about no bag fees. But that is written on their site.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirTran baggage fees?

Did Southwest require you to book your trip with Airtran?

I was wondering the same thing, and when I tried to book my trip on Southwest.com, it directed me to the Airtran website, and this comment came up on the Southwest website:

"*Reservations booked on airtran.com will be subject to applicable bag fees or change fees. When you click continue you will be leaving southwest.com and will be transferred to airtran.com. You will be subject to the Privacy Policy and terms and conditions of use for airtran.com."

So I am not sure about your flight, but for mine out of Midway, even though the flight is operated by Southwest for a portion, I will have bag fees ( $25 a bag).

Hampden...
Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirTran baggage fees?

I booked my flights on Expedia. Yes, I saw the disclaimer about "if any of your itinerary is SW..."

I'm just asking for anyone who has past experience doing this.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
185 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AirTran baggage fees?

spiney, i flew to jamaica via airtran was charged $25.00 each for two bags going and coming total $100.00. if your leaving jamaica via airtran you will probably be charged.

Hampden...
Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AirTran baggage fees?

Thanks Jeff. Did you have any flight segments that were a Southwest flight?

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AirTran baggage fees?

You should be subject to the rules of the originating carrier. Another words you should not have any baggage fees going to MoBay, but if your originating flight from MoBay is AirTran then you will be subject to their baggage fees.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirTran baggage fees?

I called this am, just to confirm about bag fees. Yes, for my flight, I will be charged the $25 per bag fee, since AirTran is technically the originator of the flight, even if a portion is SW.

Spiney, you got me excited for a short time, thinking I may not have to pay bag fees. Now due to bag fees, my husband and I will check only one bag, and bring the rest as carry ons. Carry ons are free ( thankfully).

Edited: 16 July 2013, 17:11
United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AirTran baggage fees?

I copied this from the website. airtran.com/faq/swa_airtran_connectivity.aspx

"Q: How will fees be applied if the itinerary includes flights on both airlines?

A: The Marketing Carrier’s fees will apply to all aspects of the travel with one exception. 1st and 2nd checked bag fees will be waived for any itinerary purchased through an AirTran channel that includes a Southwest segment (weight and size restrictions still apply)."

Flights to MBJ have to be booked through an Airtran channel because SW doesn't fly there yet, so your bags should be free.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AirTran baggage fees?

Thanks for the link, I will be sure to try and get my bags for free, and I will call again later to see what they have to say.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
185 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AirTran baggage fees?

no...straight flight