We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals RC questions

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals RC questions

Do you needs water shoes for the beach and swimming in the sea?

Is the snorkeling off the private island in the clothing optional area?

We are going with my family (mom, dad, sister and her husband) so clothing optional is NOT an option, do you feel comfortable in that area with a swim suit on?

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals RC questions

I would not say you NEED water shoes but yes you can encounter areas where there are broken shells so if you have sensitive feet then pack the water shoes. I personally would recommend the water shoes not for the shells but the crabs. many of the crabs are the same color as the sand and you might not even see them right away. Usually they will move away from you before you could ever get the chance to step near one but even so, I'd feel better with the shoes on.

You can do snorkeling several ways. (and someone else may chime in if I am wrong or forgot something since I was only there once)

1. You can go out on the boat and they drop you in a particular area and I believe you snorkel your way to the private island or in some cases they may have someone with you.

2. Yes you can rent snorkel gear for free or bring/purchase your own and just snorkel at your leisure anywhere. I mean most people do it on the clothing optional side of the island but I rented some gear and was exploring in the front too. I just think there's not much to see there.

3. With the stay at 1, play at 3, you can also take the free shuttle to Sandals Montego Bay and enjoy all of their amenities and activities as well. I did not ask about snorkeling areas there but I assume there are some.

4. The island routes reggae catamaran cruise tour (an additional charge as its an off resort excursion unless it comes with the promotional sale when you booked) takes you to a completely different area away from the resorts and I hear its a better snorkeling experience (although limited to 30-40 mins) but the chances of seeing more fish, sting way and other creatures is better.

- The C/O area is just something you have to decide if its your cup of tea. People there are generally mature. From everyone I have spoken to that have visited SRC many times, they find it to be a very peaceful and relaxing section of the island. As long as your family is mature and open minded enough, it should be fine. Not everyone is nude. Some people go full nude, others just topless and some keep it all on. I did some snorkeling over there in my swimsuit and I basically just tried not to go looking for things I did not wish to see. And in turn I was no approached or made uncomfortable by any guests either.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 07:31
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals RC questions

Astrid: We frequently plop down in the clothing optional section for sun and swimming. My recommendation is you MUST wear water shoes if you snorkel off the clothing optional section. That section is in the open ocean and as such any sea creature can wander into the area, including sea urchins which are commonly encountered. The water depth varies with the tide, but is generally waist to shoulder high, so you walk on the ocean floor. The ocean floor in that section is mostly soft smooth sand, with some coral formations scattered around. I have personally seen MANY guests step on a sea urchin and get stung. I've done it myself. Not fun. First the sting, then the digging to get the barb(s) out later. OUCH!

Our experience is probably 1/2 to 2/3's of the guests go topless or fully nude, but many guests stay in full swimwear. So staying in your swimwear is common.

I'm not sure I'd snorkel off the textile section of the Private Island. That area is not roped off for guest safety from passing water craft. Everything from sailboats to kayaks to power water craft. If you stayed VERY close to the island you'd probably be OK...but if you started to wander out...well you are unprotected. The swimming area off the clothing optional section is roped off hence much safer for swimming and snorkeling.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 14:18
Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals RC questions

Oh yes I was very close to the front of the island, I did not go very far out. There wasn't much to see accept some fish though. I am curious if you know what the snorkeling is like at SMB, srcfan?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals RC questions

Rachael713: It's been years since we've stayed at SMB and we never venture over there for just a day, so any memories of snorkeling at SMB are lost in a sea of Red Stripe and time.

5. Re: Sandals RC questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 06:18