We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reggae Sumfest.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Reggae Sumfest.

Does anyone know when the dates for the Reggae Sumfest 2014 will be announced?

South Carolina
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reggae Sumfest.

Also, have any of you attended Sumfest? If so, what did you think?

Boston...
Level Contributor
57 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reggae Sumfest.

The dates probably won't be confirmed until January or February but it's usually held during the third week of July. I didn't go this year went but went in 2012 and had a fabulous time. There is no such thing as giving a mediocre performance at Sumfest. If you go, you will definitely enjoy yourself.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reggae Sumfest.

xxSHA-SHAxx thanks for the info......I figured the Sumfest would be a time to remember.

I'm trying to plan and book my vacation now w/out the exact dates and hoping that when the exact dates come out they are during the time I've chosen. :/

I'm assuming the 3rd week is the 3rd FULL week in the month?!?! Do you know?

Also where did you stay, and how far away was it from the venue?

Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
57 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reggae Sumfest.

I've seen it scheduled as early as the week of 15th and as late as the week of the 21st (like it was this year). So it's hard to say. You have plenty of time though. So don't feel like you have to book anytime soon. If your heart is set on going to Sumfest, I suggest that you just wait for the dates to be confirmed. In my experience, there's no real benefit to booking this far in advance.

When I went, I stayed at Polkerris which is a nice little bed and breakfast behind the Hip Strip. It's not too far from the venue where Sumfest is held. I took a taxi to Sumfest at night but walked back to the B&B in the mornings with no problem. I put a deposit on my room four months in advance and booked my flight six weeks in advance after watching the fares for about two months in the hopes that I would catch a good deal which I did. So again, no need to make a move now but keep your eyes open and do your research like it seems you're doing now so you're prepared come 2014.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reggae Sumfest.

Thanks for the info.

We are planning the trip to Montego Bay for bdays.........we were just hoping to catch a night or two of Sumfest while there.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reggae Sumfest.

There have been a couple of articles in the Jamaican Gleaner about a potential change in months for 2014 due to difficulty in competing for the big artists because of the growing popularity of large Europe Reggae festivals in the summer months. Went to Sumfest the last two years. Nothing better for a reggae lover.

Chicago
Level Contributor
122 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reggae Sumfest.

I have attended this event for the past 5 years. I did not attend this past year because I did not enjoy myself like I used to. The problem that I have is this event does not attract the premiere acts anymore. A lot of the dancehall artists are in jail, and the premiere american artists are no longer interested in coming. I say go and see for yourself, that way you can check it off your bucket list. Whats sad, I can go to new york and see the dancehall artists, but these people dont perform at Sumfest anymore?

South Carolina
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Reggae Sumfest.

GinSha1.......that's disappointing news to hear they may be changing the month of the festival. Guess we will have to find other entertainment while there.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Reggae Sumfest.

DSTDiva....I definitely want to check it out just to see what it's all about.

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reggae Sumfest.

I went this year. The line up wasn't as good as the previous year.it was still great I had the time of my life. Make sure u buy vip tickets or it's not worth your time you will not be able to see the artists. If u want to really see them. buy the green and gold you can meet the artists backstage. Make sure u buy a chair when u get there the concert is from 9:00 till 8:00 am it's outside. I went for two nights.those are the best nights to go.