We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets beaches st James vs wild orchid

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets beaches st James vs wild orchid

Ok all, I have scoured the forums here and seem to be getting differing responses.

My question is, is the beach at secrets st James or wild orchid better for snorkeling? Laying out and swimming? Bars and food service?

Thank you!!!

United States
Level Contributor
12,663 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets beaches st James vs wild orchid

There is only one Secrets resort in Jamaica. The names 'St. James' and 'Wild Orchid' apply to different sections of the same resort. The two sides share their facilities.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets beaches st James vs wild orchid

So which section then has a better spot for snorkeling, swimming?

North East, Maryland
Level Contributor
176 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets beaches st James vs wild orchid

The SWO/SSJ complex is actually one big resort, so I don't think you are missing out on anything by booking one side or the other. You may utilize the facilities on either side, and they are no more than a few minutes walk from each other. The big difference between them is the décor, and proximity to the restaurant hub. SWO rooms are closer to the restaurant facilities, and SSJ rooms are about a 5 minute walk. It is a bit misleading IMO that the resorts have 2 names, as you will end up utilizing features on both sides during your stay.

Wilkes-barre...
Level Contributor
253 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets beaches st James vs wild orchid

We are here right now and have been snorkeling every single day right off the beach of Secrets Wild Orchid in the preferred section... All the beaches are beautiful... Let me put it this way there are beaches here to fit just about any ones likes in a beach!... The beaches are incredible!

Mentioned in this post
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid...
7,290 Reviews
Jamaica
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
318 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets beaches st James vs wild orchid

I think the Wild Orchid side has the prettier area of beach. The Wild Orchid & St. James share the same restaurants--which are closer to the Wild Orchid. Wild Orchid is better to me for those reasons.

Edited: 03 September 2013, 02:38
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets beaches st James vs wild orchid

another vote for better snorkeling off the preferred beach at the SWO side. There is a little cove there with some rocks and that helps attract the sea life, but as was also mentioned, it really is just one resort.

Wilkes-barre...
Level Contributor
253 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets beaches st James vs wild orchid

@ Derekh823

After writing my first response (#4) I've had much more time to spend at all of the beaches here... The beaches between these two resorts truly should have something that can appeal to everyone! The snorkeling is incredible right off the preferred section of SWO... Hey... its great for just laying out and the service has also been ver good! They also offer guides & lesson tours at very reasonable prices and even Catamaran sail & snorkel trips! I'm not sure what the current capacity percentage is but even over the Labor Day Holiday weekend we never had a problem securing a chaise or palapa on any of the beaches... The beaches really are beautiful!

Ontario
Level Contributor
693 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets beaches st James vs wild orchid

We snorkeled in both the St. James and the Wild Orchid area last year in December. We loved this resort so much that we are returning this December. They are really the same resort . We are returning because we love to snorkel right off the beach, like that lounge chairs were always available, love the great service, wonderful accommodations, great nightly entertainment etc etc. etc. We have been to over 10 all-inclusive resorts all 4 or 5 star and this is the only resort we have decided to return to. I guess that pretty much sums it up!

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets beaches st James vs wild orchid

The website doesn't state that there is a preferred club (PC) beach. Does that mean if you aren't staying PC that you can't sunbathe at these beaches? If so is this a big deal or are the other beaches nice also and not crowded?

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets beaches st James vs wild orchid

The non preferred beach at Wild Orchid was beautiful. We didn't use the one at St. James.

We didn't feel like we missed anything by staying in a standard room. We don't go in the pool, so the preferred pool isn't a draw for me. They were much quieter, no pool bar there.

With all of the various food options available, we didn't miss not having access to the pc lounge.

The service is fantastic everywhere. Secrets doesn't have a bracelet system so no one can look at you and determine if you are PC or not, like some other chains.

The view from our room was spectacular.

I'm sure PC is a nice perk, but we didn't feel that the upgrade was necessary. The money was better spent at the spa for us!!!

It is a great resort!!! We loved it!