We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Beach Resort for adults

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midwest, USA
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Beach Resort for adults

Hi all,

We are thinking of making a quick trip to Jamaica 1st week of Dec. Have stayed all over the island at high end resorts but want to stay in montego bay this time because it will be a short trip.

Our questions. Does Sunset Beach resort have an adults pool or adult beach area? Is topless sunbathing allowed on the beach? I've read about a nude beach area? Is that correct?

I know there will be children there as it is a family resort but will it be overun with kids the at that time of year?

We have stayed at Couples and Sandals and KNOW that it will not be anywhere near those resorts but the price is really good and its in montego bay. And we're pretty easy going, so if we get what we paid for we're fine with that.

Any thought would be appreciated

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Beach Resort for adults

I stayed at this resort in June of 12 with 7 other adults and 6 kids. The resort was not overrun with children, but there were still a lot of them. I would think that there would be even fewer kids in early December, than in the summer.

There is a topless beach and a nude beach. They are off to the side and are kind of hard to find unless you go looking for them. I think they frown on topless sunbathing on the regular beach. There is no adult pool area, but the pool with the swim up bar did not have many kids. They seem to hang at the waterpark area.

It is a fairly basic resort. It is not a Sandals or Couples. Go in with that in mind and you should be fine. I would not go here for an adult only trip, but that's just me. We did meet several other guests that were there without kids and they seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Beach Resort for adults

For the price, its not bad. We went last year with our kids. Are there no adults only in your price range? Just wondering. My hubby and I only do adults only when traveling alone. If I am leaving my kids at home, don't wanna be around others. But that's just me. Anyway, there is. Nude area like hog daddy said. We did see a couple people using it.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Beach Resort for adults

I never travel with children and I have gone to Sunset Beach Resort four times...twice as a couple and twice as a girls trip...

I always enjoy myself, I never feel overwhelmed by the presence of the children. The topless and nude beaches are great for a child-free beach experience...the pool with the swimup bar rarely has children...the nightlife on the resort is a hit or miss...I like that they don't really restrict you from the pools during late night hours....

I have a blast whenever I go...and I am in my late 30s...

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Beach Resort for adults

I never travel with children and I have gone to Sunset Beach Resort four times...twice as a couple and twice as a girls trip...

I always enjoy myself, I never feel overwhelmed by the presence of the children. The topless and nude beaches are great for a child-free beach experience...the pool with the swimup bar rarely has children...the nightlife on the resort is a hit or miss...I like that they don't really restrict you from the pools during late night hours....

I have a blast whenever I go...and I am in my late 30s...also, the fact that its only about 20 minutes from the airport makes it ideal for short getaways.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Beach Resort for adults

Sorry I have to disagree with others. We have been all over Jamaica and stayed at Couples and RIU, Royal Decameron, ect... I got a great deal to Sunset beach and thought the kids would be only at the water park and WRONG. it was Sept 1st and I thought most kids might be back in school or getting ready to go and not be on vacation. Kids were everywhere splashing us at the swim up bar daily, screaming and crying at Dinner. Our room was nice, the lobby is nice, very nice gift shop, the specialty restaurants were nice. The buffet was not great, but the beach bar was terrible. The sand was very rocky, the entertainment at night was pretty bad. The Disco was a JOKE. It was old, dirty and just a guy with a lap top playing music. We didn't spend much time at the adults beach because the bar down there is so small and were always out of everything. I probably would not go back even for a great deal Wished we would have went back to the RIU in MoBay or RDMB.

Hazleton...
Level Contributor
228 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Beach Resort for adults

Hello

We have been at SSB 9 times. The past 2 times with our little guy(now 13 months old). We already have our 10th trip planned. NEVER has there been kids everywhere!! Yes, kids are at the resort. Never heard kids screaming like crazy. You will not be disappointed. Read my reviews you will get a better idea. We have also been all around Jamaica and its resorts(Negril, Ocho Rios and MoBay). SSB keeps us coming back. Do not hesitate to message me if you need anything.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Beach Resort for adults

We'll be there October 6th - 19th. All adults looking for a good time with FEW kids.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Beach Resort for adults

Wow we must have just hit a BAD week I guess!!

9. Re: Sunset Beach Resort for adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2013, 11:52
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
825 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset Beach Resort for adults

I have been to SSB twice over New Years holidays, traveling without children. Since I was there during school holidays there were many families staying at the resort. We found that families eat meals earlier, i.e. breakfast before 9:00am, lunch at noon, and dinner between 5:00 - 6:00. We adjusted our eating times so we weren't at the buffet during these busy times. Families mainly stayed on the main beach and the water park area. We opted to hang out on the smaller beach at the west end of the resort, closer to the swim up bar. It was very quiet there and the water was nice. In the evenings we often went of the resort, using the free shuttle to Margaritaville or Pier One. We didn't even check out the resort disco at all. In the evenings the lobby area is busy, alot of people socializing have drinks, some older kids there using the wifi. We found SSB to be very good value for the price we paid and enjoyed our stay there.