We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel for Honeymoon

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotel for Honeymoon

Hi all, I am looking to book my honeymoon for May of next year in Montego Bay. I have been looking primarily at Sandals resorts due to the fact they are adults only and cater to couples, but have been hearing some not so great things about the chain lately.

My question is, is there another resort I should be looking into? I want to stay in the MoBay area, and adults only would be my preference. We like luxury, but not to the point of stuffiness. I still want somewhere with a younger, fun vibe. Price range is $3500-$4500 for seven nights.

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Illinois
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel for Honeymoon

I think Sandals Montego bay ticks all your boxes, especially since you do not want to leave the MB area.

Mentioned in this post
Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,949 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel for Honeymoon

Would also look at the Iberostar Grand for comparison.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Iberostar Grand Hotel...
6,927 Reviews
Jamaica
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel for Honeymoon

From what I can see, Iberostar seems to be more luxurious and include more for less money.. Thoughts? Does anyone know if they include water sports?

Burlington, New...
Level Contributor
241 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel for Honeymoon

Take, I've stayed SRC 7 times and love, love, love it. It's quite and romantic. The food, guests and staff are great. Please take the negatives with a grain of salt. I have read them and can't believe they stayed at the same place I did. There are plenty of Sandals fans on this site and we only have good things to say about the resorts.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel for Honeymoon

Iberostar is a fantastic property for those looking for luxury and the included butler will be nice too. However, Sandals will offer you more inclusions like glass bottom boat, snorkeling excursions, basic scuba at no extra charge ( all extra at Iberostar). Also, not sure if it is included at Iberostar, but Sandals has their arrival lounge at the airport with free transportation to and from the resort.

At Iberostar you get your basic water sports included like Hobie cats, snorkeling off shore of the resort and kayaks ( all included at Sandals also).

I think Sandals Montego Bay will offer the younger crowd you are looking for in a resort. I personally hated SRC, beach is almost non existent. I will personally never return to SMB, but in way mind recommend it to others whom it seems to be the best match, and I think it is for you the best match.

However warning, if you have to book the lowest category room to fit in your budget, then I can not recommend SMB. I do not like their lowest category rooms. There was no luxury in them, no balcony and poor location.

If Iberostar Grand and and an upgraded room at SMB are out of your budget, then your only choice is Secrets.

Mentioned in this post
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
5,742 Reviews
Jamaica
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Iberostar Grand Hotel...
6,927 Reviews
Jamaica
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel for Honeymoon

Hi Dawn, I appreciate the input. It's hard to know what to believe! I am still open to Sandals and will likely book wherever I can get the best deal or bang for my buck.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel for Honeymoon

Hi Norwegian, thanks for the reply. Based on our budget we should be able to stay in an updated room category at either resort. Will stay in mid-level concierge at Sandals or oceanfront at Iberostar. The good thing about going in May is the room price! I will have to look into shuttle costs for Iberostar and factor that in :)

Burlington, New...
Level Contributor
241 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotel for Honeymoon

Good luck with which ever resort you pick. Remember no resort is perfect, like life, there a faults.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
789 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hotel for Honeymoon

When we were looking for a honeymoon destination 3 years ago, we looked for adults only, but wanted a smaller resort rather than a hotel feel to the place. We found 2 resort chains who cater to couples only, which really does set the tone for a more romantic honeymoon. Sandals and Couples resorts. We choose Couples in Ocho Rios, about 1 1/2 hour from Mobay and we love it.

If you are sticking to staying in the Mobay area, then choose the sandals resort. If you are willing to travel a bit to either Negril, with it's beautiful beaches, or to Ochi, your choices in hotels expand immensely as both Sandals and Couples have resorts at both. You can't go wrong with either.

Look at them all, and one will call to you.

Mentioned in this post
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,949 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hotel for Honeymoon

I think you really need input from folks who have stayed at both the IB and Grand to get a true comparison.