We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 1st trip to Jamaica Thansgiving week

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 1st trip to Jamaica Thansgiving week

Quick question, my wife and I are trying to get our 2 adult children (30/31) together for Thanksgiving. They live in different parts of the US then us. We are looking to do a quick trip over Thanksgiving week. Maybe Sunday through Friday. All we want to do is spend time toghter as a family, have a couple of drinks, chill on the beach, maybe go diving one day. Is Montego Bay a good place for this? Dont want to spend a great deal of time shulttling back and forth to resort from airport - unless it is needed.

Thinking of a mid range AI resort such as Royal Decameron, Sunset Beach Resort or Holiday Inn SunSpree.

Any thoughts on these three properties?

Thanks!

Malvern, Jamaica
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 1st trip to Jamaica Thansgiving week

sorry that I have no input on your choice of ai, is not my area of knowledge,

what I wished to comment on is what caring parents you are to make such an effort to spend time with your grown children, for some even a simple phone call is to much effort

good job

have a great time in Jamaica I know you will

one love

United States
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 1st trip to Jamaica Thansgiving week

" Is Montego Bay a good place for this?"

Yes. Travel times from the airport to the three hotels you list is 15 min. or less.

"Thinking of a mid range AI resort such as Royal Decameron, Sunset Beach Resort or Holiday Inn SunSpree."

Of the three hotels you list I would pick Royal Decameron. Sunset Beach and Holiday Inn are both 'family' resorts where you will find lots of families with small children.

the above said, you may have a problem with your vacation. Thanksgiving is a major holiday for travel from the US to Jamaica. Air and hotel options as of this late date may be limited. I would consult a good travel agent as soon as possible. The issue of the 'best' hotel may turn into the issue of 'what hotels and airlines have space still available' and/or the price of available flights and rooms and/or the times of available flights.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 1st trip to Jamaica Thansgiving week

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated...Understanding the challenges of traveling Thanksgiving week, I had already checked on flight/resort availability prior to post. That is the main reason for the trip being Sun-Friday. Best airfare/resort package on those dates. We have been fortunate enough to commit to at "family trip" every year since they were in High School. I travel a lot for my job, so I have the advantage of FF miles and hotel points. It has helped keep the family pretty close.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 23:21
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
49 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 1st trip to Jamaica Thansgiving week

We had a really good experience at the Royal Decameron, in August. It's nothing fancy, but we were always taken care of & the views & location are wonderful! It was less than a 10 minute drive from the airport. And a huge plus for us was how small the resort is, several times during the week we had one of the two beaches completely to ourselves! Hope you have a good trip, wherever you stay! :)

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
49 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning 1st trip to Jamaica Thansgiving week

We had a really good experience at the Royal Decameron, in August. It's nothing fancy but we were always taken care of, & the views & location are wonderful! It was less than a 10 minute drive from the airport. A huge plus for us was the small size of the resort, several times during the week we had one of the two beaches completely to ourselves! Hope you have a great trip wherever you stay! :)

6. Re: Planning 1st trip to Jamaica Thansgiving week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 05:18