We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping Wine to Jamaica

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakville, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Shipping Wine to Jamaica

Hi - we are a group of 30 headed to the villas at Half Moon Bay Club for 2 weeks over Christmas. We need a lot of wine. I understand each person can bring 2L of alcohol with them, duty free, but does anyone know how much the duty would be if we shipped several cases down? Is it worthwhile? I have also heard that Mega Mart in Mobay carries wine - does anyone know what the selection would be? We would like something that would be around $20-25 in Canada or the US, ie. Greg Norman Cab, Meomi Pinot. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated. thanks

United States
Level Contributor
11,105 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping Wine to Jamaica

You have several issues. First is how to ship it: sea or air. You need to plan on 4 weeks or so for a sea trip to Jamaica and about 4 days if you use the much more expensive air route. Your second issue is the customs duty. See the following for more information

www.jacustoms.gov.jm/home_template.php…

www.jacustoms.gov.jm/home_template.php…

The third issue that the possibility that the shipment may be 'lost' on the way. Insurance is something to consider.

"Any suggestions"

I would take a bit of wine in my checked bags on the way down. On arrival I would buy more.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping Wine to Jamaica

I think you'll run into more issues trying to ship the wine than it's worth. Take what you can with you and then shop around. I'm sure you'll find something that will get you through the trip.

Simcoe, Ontario
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipping Wine to Jamaica

Hi there you can buy all kinds of nice wines at megamart also all kinds if them in the little shops on the hip strip know your prices and barter with them they will go to price that you pretty much know is reasonable and if they don't the next shop did , I did not have any problems getting good wine.

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipping Wine to Jamaica

Also, the Jamaican Government tends double the duties in the run up to the Christmas time as so many ex-pats come in with imports.

Jamaica is a rum island, it is a drink that is hard to resist when you're there. You might end up with a load of unopened cases of wine imported for a lot money.

5. Re: Shipping Wine to Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 06:21