We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

between sandals negril royal caribbean, montego bay

Schnecksville...
5 posts
Save Topic
between sandals negril royal caribbean, montego bay

My fiance and i are looking for the best place for your honeymoon. We are looking for a place to get a oceanveiwroom but not to spend a boat load of money. But we alsowant the rooms to be nice. We are looking for agood beach with pools with swimm up bars. We would like the resort to have enertainmentand activities going on. We want a resort that is more of a upbeat place and people that are on there honeymoon in the ages of 20 to 30 years old. We want to go snoakling and suba diving. I heard reveiws of all the resortsan just want some inside imput i know montego bay you can hear the planes fly over, and that negril is a far drive from the airport. my faince and i just want to find the best place for us to go and have all of these things included.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: between sandals negril royal caribbean, montego bay

All of those are nice but have small pools. The best of the three for the beach is SN. You will need to pay for an ocean view room at all of them. Take a look at Sandals Whitehouse. All rooms are ocean view. There are great pools and a great beach.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: between sandals negril royal caribbean, montego bay

All of those resorts have swim up bars, entertainment, honeymooners are varying ages, ocean view rooms and snorkeling and scuba diving (along with other water sports included) So really...most of the things you are looking for can be found at any of those resorts. Here are what I consider to be the main differences for you to consider. Some of these things may or may not matter to you.

Sandals Negril: Is set along the 7 mile beach. So if long walks and plenty of beach for miles is what you are looking to experience. Then this is the only Sandals resort that has this to offer. This beach is however NOT private. Which means other tourists from other resorts, venders and theoretically children can walk onto your resort beach at any time. Many people do not find this a bother and enjoy seeing the venders and feel like it adds to a more authentic experience. Its well worth it to them to have the freedom to walk the longer beach. However some people have posted reviews that were not happy about this and that they expected a private beach so be forewarned that its not and think about rather that matters to you. It is 90 mins from the airport so you will be spending additional travel time. HOWEVER some guests view this ride as a free excursion where they get to see some of Jamaica while they are on their way to the resort. For me and my husband, its not something we prefer. We prefer to soak up every single drop of vacation time possible when spending this kind of money. Last time our flight was delayed so when we should have been at the resort by 1PM...instead when all was said and done and we were checked in it was getting dark and I felt we lost an entire day. At that point I was sooooo glad I had booked a resort close to the airport. But another thing to consider about the ride is its putting you away from the plane noise and into the heart of Jamaica. Its truly the capital of casual. Very laid back and looks like such a fun resort to visit.

Sandals Royal Caribbean. Similar to SN in its layout and property size and pools, SRC is just closer to the airport. They both may not feature big giant pools with everyone socializing and swimming in them. But they do feature quiet unique poools that are scenic and secluded. I will take a beautiful, romantic secluded pool over a busy noisy one Anyday. But again everyone is different. Sandals Royal Caribbean also features the only private offshore island (originally kokomo) and has a very romantic atmosphere. And instead of a long never ending beach like Negril, it offers a small private beach cove for those who want privacy and seclusion on vacation. Again it focuses more on the intimate and scenic with its beach gazebos and private island...it creates this quaint pint sized paradise lol. SRC also features the stay at one play at 3 with complimentary shuttle. This ALMOST triples the dining options that you would have at Sandals Negril (although I suppose you could walk to beaches resort if you want to eat there or take a cab ride to any other Sandals on the island)

Sandals Montego Bay: Even closer to the airport, this resort has the loudest of plane noise. This bothers about 50% of guest reviews but the rest do not mind at all and some feel its fun waving off the planes as they leave. This resort atmosphere is the more upbeat and active of the three you mentioned. It has a good sized amphitheater, awesome entertainment and weekly theme nights. The nice thing is you can also enjoy all the entertainment, activities and parties at the other two nearby resorts as well. Its not just the dining options that are increased. You will have FULL access to parties, entertainment and activities. We were never bored a single night of our trip thanks to this feature. Sandals Mobay also has a slightly larger beach and swimming area than SRC and its private. Its not a huge beach like Negril but it is the largest beach of the 3 resorts in Montego Bay.

I hope this comparison helps you out. any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: between sandals negril royal caribbean, montego bay

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!! Just to clarify a point Rachel made on sandals Negril, it is on 7 mile but it is on bloody bay, not long beach. I think that long beach is 5 miles and bloody bay is around two miles (give or take). Long beach has a lot of shops, bars, restaurants, other hotels, etc. not sure if bloody bay is as active. Long beach really has the Negril vibe. We were at couples swept away last year and you literally can hop up off your beach chair, walk down the beach for 5 minutes and you are at margarita ville.

My hubby did the open water portion of his padi certification 5 years ago at sandals Mobay (smb) and loved the dive staff there. Based on what you have described, of the 3 resorts I think smb would be a good fit. Of the adults only I have visited in Jamaica (smb, sandals royal carribeAn, sandals Carlyle) it had the youngest demographic.

I have not been to sandals whitehouse, but hopefully one of the posters who frequents that resort can give you an idea of it. Bad thing about whitehouse for you is it is quite secluded, so getting off resort could be more costly than if you are in Negril or Mobay (and a long trip too).

Not to throw a wrench in what your looking at, but have you considered sandals grand st. Lucian in st. Lucia (sgsl)? That resort by far had the most honeymooners we have ever seen! And everyone was so friendly and we made a lot of resort friends there.

One cool thing about sgsl is if you are into scuba, it is located at the tip of the island. Sgsl faces the carribeAn sea and literally a 5 minute walk from the lobby of sgsl and you are at the rough Atlantic. What is cool about that is the carribeAn sea is way calmer, so you get that on the beach, but if you dive you get to see way different things from one side to the other.

Unless you are sold on sandals, there are other adult only options that might fit the bill for you. If you have any q's let me know.

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: between sandals negril royal caribbean, montego bay

Too Cold, are you sure that SN is on Bloody Bay? The maps I have seen ( travelsinjamaica.com/p/negril-map-of-everyth… and wikimapia) place it on the northern end of long bay.

Labrador City, NL...
Level Contributor
594 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: between sandals negril royal caribbean, montego bay

""Sandals Negril: Is set along the 7 mile beach. So if long walks and plenty of beach for miles is what you are looking to experience. Then this is the only Sandals resort that has this to off""

Rachael, I think SWH definitely has this to offer.

I agree with Too Cold regarding St Lucia for the diving. I don't dive personally but the couple that we went with said it was the best diving they have ever done. Lots of drops and sea life, a lot more than they experienced in Jamaica. The beach is nice but not very long, you can read my review if you're interested at all!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: between sandals negril royal caribbean, montego bay

@CJN - you are correct....but there is a reason I didn't look at sandals Negril last year. And now I am having a brain lapse. DO you have to go in the water for a piece to walk on long beach. Or, did I completely rule out sn last year for no reason at all lol.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: between sandals negril royal caribbean, montego bay

truehabsfan I am sure it does as well. The poster gave me 3 resorts and I was addressing those 3 resorts. thanks :)

Labrador City, NL...
Level Contributor
594 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: between sandals negril royal caribbean, montego bay

Ah yes Rachael, sorry. I read the post and not the title. My apologies

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: between sandals negril royal caribbean, montego bay

All 3 of these resorts have pretty much the same pool and pool bar experience. None are super big or elaborate, but each resort has at least one pool bar, and a few other pools. Technically the longest stretch of beach is at SN, but not actually at the resort. You need to walk beyond the ends of the resort, and you can keep going. SMB probably has the longest beach that is actually part of Sandals, and of the 3, I personally think it is the nicest. It's private, and there's space on it to enjoy it. SN's beach really disappointed me. The part of the beach on the resort is very narrow, packed with beach chairs and has people walking on it a lot of the time. If I'm on a beach, I like to lay on it and relax, and SN is just not a place to do it. The very end by the crystal lagoon suites has some room, but the rest is very cluttered. Unless the 7 mile beach is really important to you, or there are activities you want to do in Negril off resort, I personally would not recommend SN.

I like SMB and SRC, but both very different. SMB is set on a long beach, has stuff going on most of the time, and has a better nightlife. SRC is small, set on a wrap around beach, and was quiet most of the time except at the main pool. There is also the private island you can go to. Whichever one of these you chose, you can visit the other, so you just need to decide where you want to sleep if you pick one of the Sandals in Montego Bay.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: between sandals negril royal caribbean, montego bay

Too Cold - When you leave SN and walk towards Beaches Negril, there is a section of the walk where you leave the beach and head more up on to land (trees extend into the water, if I remember correctly). Otherwise, you can stay on the beach for the whole walk. You definitely don't have to go into the water.

Maybe you need to take another look at SN...... LOL