We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Policies on smoking in Sandals/Jamaica

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
435 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Policies on smoking in Sandals/Jamaica

I'd like to know what the policies are for smoking at Sandals (Royal Caribbean) and in Jamaica in general. I have asthma and often end up having to move my chair/towel, esp. if people smoke cigars near me. I'd prefer it if I could settle in somewhere and not worry about it. Are there non-smoking areas? Do people smoke in restaurants.? What about in town?

Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Policies on smoking in Sandals/Jamaica

For Sandals there is no smoking in any restaurant. Not sure about the rules outside. We are also non-smokers and don't remember ever having any problems with this issue at any of our Jamaica Sandals stays. I have seen different forums on smoking issues in Jamaica, check them out for a better answer.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Policies on smoking in Sandals/Jamaica

Great questions!!!

I was wondering the exact same thing!!

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Policies on smoking in Sandals/Jamaica

I was at the sandals grand riviera Ocho rios. It was not a smoky place. People who did smoke usually stood by designated ashtrays...town wasn't smoky either. Typically the people did not smoke inside.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Policies on smoking in Sandals/Jamaica

LCWombat: You will find some folks smoking in some of the open air areas. It's a fact. Occasionally we too have chosen to move our sun loungers for this reason. Not often...but it does happen. Just depends on who is nearby, wind direction, and whether or not they smoke. All restaurants and bars are designated non-smoking. I also believe, but maybe someone can confirm, The Almond Terrace entertainment area where guests gather for evening entertainment is also designated non-smoking. I've seen staff ask smokers to extinguish or move out. E-cigs have been allowed since that is just vapor...not traditional tobacco smoke.

Tully, New York
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
769 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Policies on smoking in Sandals/Jamaica

We have been bothered by the occasional smoker. It was always outside. I find it easier to just find a different lounge or move up wind of them.

6. Re: Policies on smoking in Sandals/Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 06:17