We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Phone Rentals

New Castle, DE
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Island Phone Rentals

Does anyone have any advice regarding renting a cell phone that includes unlimited international calling from Island Phone Rentals?

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Phone Rentals

Have never heard of them before. They might be worth checking into. Depends what the total for rental is.

I bought a phone from digicell. It cost me right around $50US. That included the phone, SIM card and minutes that could be used to call all over.

If you aren't planning on making a lot of calls, there are also shops on the Hip Strip that will let you use their phone for free to make calls home.

I just priced out on e of the island rental phones. It would have cost me more to rent for a week than it did to buy.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 22:20
New Castle, DE
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Phone Rentals

Thanks. Did that include international calls including the U.S.?

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Phone Rentals

They weren't classified as international minutes, but I used them to call the US.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
425 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Phone Rentals

can I get a Digicel from the airport?

United States
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Phone Rentals

"can I get a Digicel from the airport?"

No. For all practical purposes you can buy almost nothing on arrival at the airport. No phones, no sim cards, no telephone minutes, etc., etc. See the following for photos of your shopping possibilities (about 2/3 down the page)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c177265/Jamai…

The arrival duty free 'shop' is four shelves along a wall in a hall and the arrival area 'store' is a single rolling cart. If you want to buy anything, 1) purchase it at home, 2) purchase it at a duty free shop at your departure airport, or 3) purchase it in your resort city in Jamaica.

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Phone Rentals

Personally depending how often you travel . It's worth it to buy a cheap phone that is unlocked that you can switch the SIM card when you get to ja . SIM card might cost you 15-20 US minutes will vary depending . Also you can try going on the degicell site and see if the have a plan for what you are looking for.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Phone Rentals

You can buy a phone for around $25 with tons of international minutes.

Details: travelsinjamaica.com/2014/04/phoning-home-an…

8. Re: Island Phone Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:18