We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help from guests that have stayed at the riu Montego Bay hot

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
perth
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help from guests that have stayed at the riu Montego Bay hot

Help, we are going to the Riu Montego Bay Hotel in early July and I have a couple of questions that I hope former guests might be able to help. Question 1 is what currency should we tip in, we are travelling from Scotland and question 2 is are there any parasol on the beach or is it just shade below trees.

Thanks for helping

Allen

United States
Level Contributor
10,975 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help from guests that have stayed at the riu Montego Bay hot

"what currency should we tip in, we are travelling from Scotland"

The hotel operates on, prices its goods and services in, US dollars. The staff will be very happy with a tip in Jamaican dollars, US dollars, Canadian dollars, Sterling or any combination of these currencies. Scottish pounds should be converted to English pounds before you leave the UK as they are not accepted in Jamaica.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help from guests that have stayed at the riu Montego Bay hot

No parasailing that I saw. I would bet you would have to go up to Doc Cave beach or Margaritaville?? Then again for the right price Im sure they would come pick you up at the RIU......

exmouth
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help from guests that have stayed at the riu Montego Bay hot

Hi

I stayed at the RUI with my daughter last summer - tipping small Jamaician notes are fine or US Dollars, tip early on for those you are gonig to use and end of trip for those you feel earnt it.

The beach - there s a few parasols not too many plus the odd tree I remember - the jerk bars good there and really really take the hobie cat boat out, fantastic fun and easy to sail.

wish I was going back !!

bob

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help from guests that have stayed at the riu Montego Bay hot

Whoops sorry I read this too fast and thought you were asking about parasailing. Lol just disregard my reply! Silly me....

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help from guests that have stayed at the riu Montego Bay hot

Me and a friend are heading there tomorrow. I am just wondering if males need to have dress shoes for the restaurants or can they get away with just regular shoes? And what was it like for tipping? Did the staff expect to be tipped all the time in order to get good service?

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help from guests that have stayed at the riu Montego Bay hot

We were there a few years ago and the resturants didnt enforce much of a dress code at all. I never felt like the staff expected to be tipped, but I will say they quickly take to those who tip and wait on them first. A few dollars go along way.

7. Re: Help from guests that have stayed at the riu Montego Bay hot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 07:32