We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I wear jewellery

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Can I wear jewellery

Is it safe to wear nice jewellry ie rings bracelets or should I leave them at home:

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I wear jewellery

I always leave my good stuff at home. Not so much because I am worried I will be robbed or anything, but worry about losing it in the ocean or pools. I just buy some fake costume stuff to wear. That way too, I can buy a new " wedding" ring every time we take a trip. Lol. Kind of fun picking out a new ring to wear.

United States
Level Contributor
11,096 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I wear jewellery

The more you leave at home the better. What you do take should go into the hotels safe.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I wear jewellery

I leave my ring and nice stuff at home. Like funlover71, because I don't want to lose anything in the water.

Middletown, Ohio
Level Contributor
576 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I wear jewellery

I do wear my wedding and engagement rings, and have had no issues. I take them to the jeweler before we leave and have them checked for loose stones. I only bring one set of earrings...hubby gave me diamond earrings as a wedding gift when we were married at SMB. The stay in the safe during the day, and only come out at night. I think our situation is a bit different since we go to celebrate our anniversary. When I travel internationally for work, or we are on a family vacation, except for the wedding band, the good stuff stays at home.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
357 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I wear jewellery

I never take anything of value outside of my wedding set- which stays in the safe all day while we're at the beach and pool b/c I don't want to lose it or get it yucky with loads of sunscreen. My husband does the same with his band.

I had the thought last summer, but didn't follow through, to do what funlover does- and I think I am definitely going to do it this year... I always miss wearing a wedding ring during the day, so think I'm also going to shop around for a decent fake.

I don't have a huge concern that my things would be stolen from the safe, but since I really don't wear them much, I figure why take them at all? And the small chance that they could go missing would break my heart. They're insured, of course, but it's the sentimental value I'm sure you all understand.

As for other jewelry- I always just take costume stuff that's cheap and will match my outfits. That way if something happens to it, if sunscreen turns it, etc... it's not a big deal.

New Albany, Indiana
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I wear jewellery

I never take my real jewels. I have fun shopping for new fake stuff with each trip. If you still want to wear your wedding rings, just remember to " make a fist" while in the ocean. A good wave can wash them off.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I wear jewellery

Your rings should never be that loose that they would "wash off" in a wave. You should have them sized correctly.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I wear jewellery

I do not take my gemstones to Jamaica.

New Albany, Indiana
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I wear jewellery

I would not take anything valuable.

west virginia
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I wear jewellery

We never take anything of value other than my watch which is waterproof and never leaves my wrist!

Leave the bling home and save headaches.