We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets or Sandals? I need serious help deciding

Summerside
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets or Sandals? I need serious help deciding

Ok looking at Secrets Wild Orchid and Sandals Whitehouse as there is only 170 dollars in the difference. We are a retired couple looking an adults only, good food, a bit upscale just to feel pampered for once. We've always travelled to Dominican Republic to 4 star resorts. We also would love to be able to swim in the carribean sea. First of all, what is the difference between Secrets St. James and Wild Orchid, is one side more luxurious. Is Sandals as good as it appears, rooms are not as important to us as the luxury of the resort itself. Can anyone out there share some thoughts, we are new to the Jamaican experience.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets or Sandals? I need serious help deciding

Have you considered Sandals Negril? Excellent beach, lots of daily and nightly activities, excellent snorkeling on the reef, just a 10 minute boat ride away. Nice pools with swim-up bars. Good food in the a la cartes.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets or Sandals? I need serious help deciding

You do know that Secrets is right under the typical landing path for Sangster International.

And there is likely a fee for a snorkel excursion. And off-site scuba.

All deal breakers for me.

United States
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets or Sandals? I need serious help deciding

"what is the difference between Secrets St. James and Wild Orchid,"

The location of the rooms on the property and the color of the paint on the walls. The two names apply to two different sections of one resort.

Sandals Whitehouse has a much better section of beach than you will find at Secrets.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets or Sandals? I need serious help deciding

With Secrets you have to listen to airplanes for most of the midday and pay for many of the extras that are included with Sandals.

The bad part of Whitehouse is the long drive to get there.

If you decide on Whitehouse or Negril spend a little extra and get a limo for the transfer.

Once someone stay at Sandals, most will return.

That does not mean that Secrets is bad by any stretch.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 03:46
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets or Sandals? I need serious help deciding

I would choose Sandals over Secrets hands down for beach, inclusions, location.

Secrets is a generic resort that IMO could be located anywhere.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets or Sandals? I need serious help deciding

I have stayed with Sandals but never at their Whitehouse property. We visit Jamaica often and have met numerous people there who have raved about the beauty and amenities at Sandals Whitehouse. The only thing that has kept me from trying it is that it is a fairly long drive from Montego Bay and also that it is in a more remote area of the island (beautiful and natural). The remoteness would not be an issue, if you do not plan to leave the resort for entertainment options. There are many lovely nature sites to visit for excursions off of the property.

Summerside
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets or Sandals? I need serious help deciding

Thanks for all your replies. So now I think I better do a little more research on Sandals Whitehouse.

new york, new york
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets or Sandals? I need serious help deciding

We recently stayed at Secrets St James. It was far from generic, and had a definite Jamaican flair. We loved our stay. Service and food were top notch. The only way to know it was near the airport was if you happened to look up and see a plane. The noise was not obvious and never a bother. I have not stayed at Sandals so cant compare, but my husband and I have travelled a lot around the caribbean and our trip to Secrets was one of our favorites. There is no long stretch of beach- more like 4 coves, but with a lovely path that circles the property and is along the beach. I would not write it off based upin the above opinions, IMhO. Good luck deciding....

Edited: 28 April 2014, 00:51
long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets or Sandals? I need serious help deciding

I've stayed at Secrets 2x and never heard an airplane. You can see them, but they are not noisy at all.

We really liked the resort overall. It certainly felt Jamaican to us! We really liked the private cove-like beaches!

We have stayed at a Secrets in Mexico as well....you can see/feel the difference!

I can't really compare it to a Sandal's because we stayed at one for our honeymoon back in 1992. We had a great time, but never wished to return.

I would look at the reviews for Secrets and decide if it for you or not.

The forum posts tend to be negative for this resort, but the reviews positive.

Tipping is allowed at Secrets but not at Sandals.

Summerside
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets or Sandals? I need serious help deciding

Rdn and shoney. Can't thank you enough for your replies. I must admit that when I read about the planes, I expected something really desruptive. You guys have put me on a good path again. I think we could live with the coves instead of that long stretch of beach. Is the ocean fairly decent to go play in or is there a lot of rocks and stuff.