We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
13 posts
Save Topic
Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

I am just wondering I have been reading the recent reviews and it seems as though tipping is often requested by employees. I know everyone says don't tip they can lose their jobs but obviously this is not true if employees are asking for them. All I want to know is honestly if we should tip or not? We picked a sandals resort with the thought that we would not have to carry a lot of cash but if tipping is the only way to get exceptional service I am totally fine with that but I would like to know what to expect. I will say the price we paid to stay at a Sandals resort was quite more than other resorts that you are "allowed" to tip so if the employees are expecting tips they should lower their price. We are getting butler service and I know and fully intend to tip our butlers but will the service at bars and restaurants improve if you slip them some cash?

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

Just because Employees are allegedly asking or hinting for tips does not automatically equal that it is ok for them to do so. Many people all around the world do things at their job that they are not supposed to...even things that can and do get them fired. This is why these people do not last very long because soon enough they are caught. I do not know why you automatically assume that because 1 or 2 recent guests talked about tipping being requested that it automatically means the no tipping policy can't be true.

It is true. It is accurate. Sandals resorts have a strict no tipping policy. This is apart of the staff contracts that they sign upon employment. Rather they uphold that contract and the policies and procedures of the company is then up to them but it doesn't change the fact that the policy exists. Sandals employees have and still continue to be terminated over accepting tips. Please abide by the tipping policy at your resort. The ONLY staff who are an exception to this rule are Personal Butlers and Spa staff. Your tips & gratuities have already been paid in your vacation package and all staff will receive a profit from the gratuity share plan at the resort. So you need not tip again as its already been done and prohibited at your resort. Because if you slip cash just to get yourself better service then you become part of the very problem that Sandals is trying to remove by their no tip policy.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 01:41
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

Thank you for your response but I did not automatically assume that the no tipping policy was not true and it has been more than the last 2 reviews that have mentioned this. And I would like to get the most out of my vacation so if that means giving my bartender and extra $10 I would be willing to do so. I did not say right or wrong for them to hit or ask for tips I was mearly trying to get an accurate perspective as this will be our first Sandals trip.

Canterbury...
Level Contributor
842 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

I've never, ever once been asked for a tip and have always had top notch service at Sandals Resorts. Why would I ever want to risk a persons job over the thought that I'd get better service if I slipped them a tip?

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

Well I know you want to get the most of your vacation but it doesn't sound like you want to tip to me. Tipping is a gratuity given for having received excellent service. Giving bartenders some money to ensure you get your drink faster than other guests is not tipping. Thats called bribing. Its exactly why Sandals does not want a tipping resort. They already allow guests to pay for additional pampering and quality accommodations with their Butler category rooms (which you already have by the sound of it) But when dealing with the everyday staff, bar tenders, waiters ect...all guests should be treated equal and not by the size of their wallet. In fact if you read some of those reviews you will find one guest in particular was upset because it made them feel low for NOT tipping.

The tipping policy is in place for the benefit of both the guest and the employees. It creates an equal gratuity program so that all staff that make your stay memorable will be rewarded for it. And it ensures all guests receive the same quality treatment from the staff. I also think you may be worrying for nothing. I vacationed at SRC and visited SMB almost every day. I never had any trouble getting reservations, drinks, meals were excellent and always found a great place on the beach or by the pool. Never had a butler and never tipped. Really a smile and thank you will go a long way. :) Have a great vacation!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

shariohrt: We have stayed over 140 nights at various Sandals properties over the many years. Our experience is a smile, thank you, and pleasant attitude are the keys to great service, not a tip. We abide by the Sandals tipping policies and have never had anything other than exceptional service. Whether at the bars, restaurants, or water sports. You will not need to tip to get great service.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

Good to know all this. Thanks. I too was looking for this info as we are going to SMB this week!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

Good to know all this. Thanks. I too was looking for this info as we are going to SMB this week!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,170 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

Absolutely NO tipping at any Sandals. Like SRCF, we have been 143 nights and have never felt a staff member hint at a tip. You are already paying into a great gratuity plan that Sandals has that covers all staff members when you pay for you trip. Put the wallet/purse in the safe and enjoy!!

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

What is the reasoning behind allowing butlers and spa personnel to receive tips, though? It seems to me that that scenario would create resentment among the other staff. Guests already pay extra for the butler rooms and spa services by way of upcharges, so it seems to me that Sandals themselves should kick in more to those employees. It is a slippery slope allowing some employees to receive tips and not others.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at Sandals Montego Bay

Butlers earn very little in base pay...less than regular staff. They are highly trained and any gratuity they receive is based on the discretion of the guest as to how well they do their job. Spa staff have always been able to accept tips as they were once considered "separate" from regular staff. They are now under the umbrella of Sandals, with a lower wage and therefore the 12.5% surcharge on spa services is considered part of their gratuity pot. I still tip over and above this.

My information is based on what we've been told by management as well as butlers and spa staff....but if anyone has heard anything differently, please post!