We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP, change of plans from CUN to Montego Bay

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
HELP, change of plans from CUN to Montego Bay

my husband and I have had our anniversary trip to Cancun booked for 3 months, and now with the horrible weather forecasted for our stay there June 6-11 we have been thinking of cancelling. We are in desperate need of advice on which of the Montego Bay hotels to stay at, we are wanting to break even or not pay too much more that we are being refunded from the Cancun trip...our choices of hotels include

-Grand Bahia Principle

-Riu Negril

-Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton

-Grand Palladium Jamaica

-Riu Montego Bay

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP, change of plans from CUN to Montego Bay

Of those?? Would go with the RIU Negril. I think most people here would agree. Better beach and food.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP, change of plans from CUN to Montego Bay

Which RIU in Negril are you considering? There is RIU Club and RIU Tropical Bay. I would recommend Tropical Bay, but not Club. Tropical Bay is on a great stretch of beach. it is the best beach of all the resorts you mention. But RIU Club is on a less than great stretch of beach.

I would put Grand Palladium on the bottom of the list, with Grand Bahia Principie and RIU Montego Bay in the middle.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP, change of plans from CUN to Montego Bay

Sorry, the Tropical Bay. They are all pretty much 3+ star properties.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 19:29
United States
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP, change of plans from CUN to Montego Bay

"need of advice on which of the Montego Bay hotels to stay at"

Of the hotels you list only one is located in Montego Bay (the RIU Montego Bay). The travel time from Montego Bay airport to the other hotels listed ranges up to 1 hr. 20 min. one way. Is being in Montego Bay important/not important to you?

RIU has two hotels in Negril, the RIU Clubhotel Negril and the RIU Palace Tropical Bay. Which one are you considering?

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton and Grand Palladium Jamaica are the two names assigned to two different sections of one hotel. Facilities like pools, beaches, restaurants, bars, etc. are shared by both sections. There is only one Grand Palladium resort in all of Jamaica.

Finally, what are you looking for in a resort? What is important to you (and what do you not want to find in a resort) in a hotel?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP, change of plans from CUN to Montego Bay

How about Sandals Carlyle? You would have full exchange privileges with Sandals Montego Bay and Royal Caribbean and it prices well, if available.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
27 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP, change of plans from CUN to Montego Bay

We were in Cancun that time last year forecast didnt look good before we left. We arrived and it rained the first day then mainly just a shower in the afternoon for about an hour before the sun came back out.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP, change of plans from CUN to Montego Bay

Looks like some bad weather ahead for the good part of the week.

weather.com/maps/maptype/satelliteworld/mexi…

Kansas City
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP, change of plans from CUN to Montego Bay

thank you for your responses, for some reason I didn't get notified of responses via my phone...

Kansas City
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP, change of plans from CUN to Montego Bay

We've looked into all options, not wanting to spend even more money having already lost some due to cancelling cancun...we are just wanting a place to relax on the beach, good food and good drinks, not sure as I haven't done much research in the area since we were headed somewhere else, but we would possibly want some excursions and nightlife if possible

United States
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP, change of plans from CUN to Montego Bay

Of the hotels you list, or which I think you list, I would pick the RIU Palace Tropical Bay (but not the RIU Clubhotel Negril).

The requirements you list are very generic, for example most major resorts are on the beach, and all of those listed can meet that requirement. There are probably several dozen other hotels in Jamaica that meet your stated requirements and I would rate as being better.