We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for our stay at Royal Decameron...

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for our stay at Royal Decameron...

I am traveling to Montego Bay in July with my parents, grandmother, and 2 other friends (ages range from 28 and up). We have our rooms booked with Royal Decameron. We are planning on staying at the resort most of the week, however we do want to venture out to some restaurants, bars and/or attractions. We have been to Jamaica once on a stop with cruise line and it was not very enjoyable. Looking forward to a different experience this year. Does anyone have recommendations for places nearby to eat (authentic Jamaican food), a fun bar (for us younger kids), and then some attractions. We can not do the Falls because of grandma, however we are all drinkers and beach goers. I have looked at snljamaicantours.com and most tours are real pricey. Hoping to find more out there that I may be overlooking....

United States
Level Contributor
10,970 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for our stay at Royal Decameron...

"a fun bar (for us younger kids)"

Try Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. Exit the hotel, turn right down the 'hip strip' and it is on the right (same side as your hotel).

"we are all drinkers and beach goers"

The Royal Decameron Montego Bay is located between the airport and downtown. The hotel is not known for having much of a beach. The best beach on the island is in Negril. You might want to consider a day trip to Negril

"Hoping to find more out there that I may be overlooking...."

Click on "THE LIST, Private Drivers or Taxis?" at the upper right on this screen for a long list of tour operators who will take you anywhere on the island.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
825 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for our stay at Royal Decameron...

Margaritaville on Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday nights is good. The later you stay the more fun it gets, locals head out to party after midnight. Friday night Pier One is a great spot to check out. Pier One is about a 5 minute cab ride from your hotel (it isn't walkable). Check to see if your hotel has shuttles to Pier One and/or Margaritaville. Some trips the whole family might enjoy are Rosehall Great House, Glistening Waters/Luminous Lagoon, Appleton Estates, or Negril Beach Day. Contact tour companies or drivers for a private tour. I have used Barrett Adventures in the past, and I highly recommend them. But, there are many other great tour operators and private drivers in Montego Bay so check around.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for our stay at Royal Decameron...

Awesome! Thank you both! This gives me more options! I keep reading about Margaritaville, Pier one and the Glistening Waters! Unfortunately we are going there on Sunday and leaving Friday so the Friday happening at pier one I will miss. Thanks for the suggestions!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for our stay at Royal Decameron...

I will also be at this AI in July. I've stayed here before. Love the swim up bar. The beach area is small but still nice and there is excellent snorkelling right on site, if that interests you. You can also take a glass bottom boat ride with Captain Polly. Right outside the entrance to the resort you may be able to find Zipp. He is a highly recommended guide/driver. You can probably ask the front desk staff to get a hold of him as well. For somewhere close by to eat, try The Pork Pit. It's just up the hip strip almost across from Margaritaville. For something for your grandmother, you may also want to check out Ahhh...Ras Natango Gallery and Garden. I haven't been there yet, but plan on going when I'm there in July. Look for the reviews/pictures on here. It looks amazing. Also, depending on the dates in July you're there...Reggae Sumfest may be of interest for the younger ones of your group.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Edited: 17 June 2014, 16:01
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for our stay at Royal Decameron...

Check out the DeadEnd Bar. Good place to hang out, grab some lunch and watch the planes land. There is a beach right a cross the street so the little ones can swim if they chose.

Also check out the Pork Pit and Scotchies for some good Jerk.

Just be prepared that if you walk outside the resort, you will be approached and asked to buy things. If not interested, just say no. Don't get upset or let it ruin your vacation. Don't hide out at the resort. Venture out and see some of the island.

Also recommend Zipp as a driver. Tell him you just want to go and see the sights and he'll show you a grat day. Something everyone would enjoy.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 17:47
6. Re: Suggestions for our stay at Royal Decameron...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 06:16