We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Hip-Strip" from Sandals Carlyle or SMB

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
"Hip-Strip" from Sandals Carlyle or SMB

We'll be visiting SMB Saturday and staying for a week. I've read you can take the free shuttle from SMB to Carlyle and walk to the hip-strip, does this seem reasonable, or should I cab it? When I look at google maps it doesn't look that far, but I really have no idea whats between them.

Thanks

Best Seller
Club Mobay: Sangster Airport VIP...
554 reviews
from US$30.00*
Jamaica Combo Tour: Dunn's River...
144 reviews
from US$130.00*
Special Offer
Blue Hole, Secret Falls and Dunn's...
15 reviews
from US$102.51*
US$120.60
Zipline, Tubing and ATV Safari...
20 reviews
from US$184.36*
Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Hip-Strip" from Sandals Carlyle or SMB

Yes you can walk to the hip strip from the Carlyle --- so if you are staying at SMB you just have to take the shuttle over to the Carlyle and then walk to the hip strip.No need for a taxi --- unless you plan to be there late after the shuttle stops.

Waterford, NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Hip-Strip" from Sandals Carlyle or SMB

As noted above, there's nothing to it. You can grab lunch at the Carlyle and just wander down the street all the way to or past Margaritaville. Plenty to look at, but it can be HOT out on that pavement with no breeze between the buildings.

There's a very cool outdoor cafe on the left somewhere around Doctor's Cave beach whose name I don't recall, but it's hard to miss it.

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Hip-Strip" from Sandals Carlyle or SMB

Great, thanks for the info and the tips!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
399 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Hip-Strip" from Sandals Carlyle or SMB

I would take a cab anyway. Be forewarned though. Some of the taxi drivers are hooked up with the store owners and make a pitch for them.

I wouldn't walk into the town of Montego Bay at night.

we were there last February and really enjoyed it and loved the employees at Secrets st James. Just a word to the wise.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Hip-Strip" from Sandals Carlyle or SMB

We always take the shuttle to SCI and then walk down to the shops, etc. Never any issues. A polite "no, thank you" always suffices. The local cab drivers will offer you their services, but we always politely decline, and that is always accepted. We have stopped in at Margaritaville and also the Twisted Kilt. No worries! Go and enjoy!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Hip-Strip" from Sandals Carlyle or SMB

It is an easy walk to the Hip Strip from Sandals Carlyle. As a single female I frequently walk on the Hip Strip by myself when visiting Montego Bay, both during the day and in the evening. There are patrols of tourism guards along the street for safety and the street is busy with cab drivers, other tourists and shop owners. As someone else said, if you are approached keep walking and a simple "No Thank You" will be fine. There are many tourist shops on the stretch, a few restaurants, Margaritaville and as you walk to the west end a nice, new park.

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Hip-Strip" from Sandals Carlyle or SMB

Thank you for the info.

I've read that Wednesday August 6th, is Jamaicas' independence day. Would the 'Hip Strip' be a good area near Montego Bay to check out some festivities, or is there somewhere near by that would be better?

Thanks again.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
399 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Hip-Strip" from Sandals Carlyle or SMB

Ask the concierge at your hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Hip-Strip" from Sandals Carlyle or SMB

Place like Doctors Cave Beach, Cornwall Beach and Aquasol, which are all along The Hip Strip, will be busy on Independence Day.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Hip-Strip" from Sandals Carlyle or SMB

Check at the Carlyle if there are festivities going on that day. We were at Sandals Negril over August 6th and there were all sorts of festivities, special foods, etc. to celebrate and to include all the guests in those festivities. It was a lot of fun! If the Carlyle isn't doing much, check to see if either SMB or SRC are having more festivities. You could always participate in them at either of those resorts.