We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Sunspree MB Question

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Sunspree MB Question

Considering HI for our family vacation but was wondering if anyone knows what time the bars are open until? From what I've read of the reviews it seems that they close at 11 P.M.? Thanks!

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree MB Question

We were there last Dec. and I know we drank at the main pool bar much later than that. The inside bar I think also was still open .

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree MB Question

Thanks teamcanada...I was just wondering because after the kids go to bed we were hoping to enjoy some quiet time alone over a few cocktails and we are late night people so were hoping that the bars didn't close so early. Other resorts/hotels in the area don't seem to close that early but I thought maybe because HI is geared more towards families that they might shut down early. Thanks again! Did you enjoy your stay at HI? We aren't looking for luxury this time around since we're taking our kids and we're on a budget so we aren't expecting that, but was just wondering what you liked and maybe didn't like about HI. Thanks!

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree MB Question

In case anyone was curious, I contacted the hotel and was told that the bars are open until 2 am :-)

Atlanta, GA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree MB Question

Very nice to know! I plan on buying some rum at the airport just in case i need a drink at 4am!! j/k.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree MB Question

Hi, I just got back from HI on Monday. They close the bars at 1:00 am. The main bar in the lobby is open until 1:00 am and the beach bar grill is as well. The beach bar grill serves hot dogs, fries, hamburgers and grilled cheese sandwiches until 1:00 am also.

For what I paid $457 plus tax for 7 days I thought it was a great place. I also had a real nice room (Building 1). Other rooms were not so nice. If you are going for beach you may not like the property. The beaches on the north coast I don't care for. The sand is coarse and the water is murky.

The pools are very nice. Lots of families there. enjoy

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree MB Question

"Very nice to know! I plan on buying some rum at the airport just in case i need a drink at 4am!! j/k."

LOL...I was so worried that the bars closed early. Yes, we're bringing our kids, so I thought that when they went down for the nights we'd have some adult time and hang out at the bars late at night. I would have been so disappointed if they closed at 10 pm or 11:00 pm...not to mention surprised! Have a great time, I look forward to hearing how your trip went!

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree MB Question

Hi, fandt.....I have travelled to JA tons. In fact this was my 30th trip to the island. I only took HI because of the price. I paid $457 plus tax for seven nights including airfare. It was a great value imo. My review should be up soon as I wrote it yesterday. Please ask any questions you would like! IRIE

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree MB Question

oops I'm repeating myself and I don't even drink! LOL. sorry

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree MB Question

withrespect - LOL..that's okay...I was actually typing a reply to you when my dang internet connection bumped me. GRRRRR

withrespect - Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at HI...how many in your family? You mentioned some of the other rooms weren't so nice? What type of room did you stay in?

"For what I paid $457 plus tax for 7 days I thought it was a great place. I also had a real nice room (Building 1). Other rooms were not so nice. If you are going for beach you may not like the property. The beaches on the north coast I don't care for. The sand is coarse and the water is murky.

The pools are very nice. Lots of families there. enjoy"

Great deal! We paid $3100 for airfare & hotel for the 4 of us. I was wondering why you thought the water was murky? I've been told that the beaches were pretty nice there. Could it have been because of weather or tides? I know the beaches are very different from Negril, but I thought they'd be pretty nice. Beach at HI doesn't look very big though from property aerial picture. How did it compare to other resorts along that stretch?

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree MB Question

Hi Fandt, The bars are open until 1:00 am. I went alone...a single white female 46 years young. My JA man met me there and stayed with me.

It is not close to town which was a down side for me. Remember this was my 30th trip to JA. And I don't usually stay at a/i's. Yes I much prefer Negril no question.

The beaches are typical of the North coast of the island. The water is not clear (one day it wasn't bad) due to the wave action. The sand is very coarse. It cannot compare to Negril in any way. Negril has white soft sugar sand and crystal clear waters. Nuff said. North coast does not have superb beaches period.

The resort is larger than I usually stay at. But I liked it because it is a family resort so this enable lots of space to get away from kids should you choose.

I had friends stay in building 5 and it was disgusting. Wayne Lote and his family (6) paid a ton of $ and that's where they put them. It was noisy, right beside the laundry area, not clean and smelled like moth balls. Wayne and his family are very nice people....they were not happy but didn't freak out. I would have for the price they paid. There was a dirty pair of underwear on their balcony which they flung on the lawn...still there 4 days later. Also they paid for ocean view and they got at the back of the building with no landscaping. I spoke to the front desk before I left to beg to have them moved. o

Other friends stayed in building 7. They didn't like it either. They said it was way too far from everything and right beside the road so it was noisy.

Ask for building 1 or 2 imo.

The pools are quite nice. Excellent design...rim flow. Fairly clean considering all the kids there.

Decent entertainment. 2 nights ...GREAT entertainment imo.

The biggest drawback for me is the location. Even with friends it still cost us $20 to get into town...each way. It's fine if you don't want to go anywhere off the resort. But if not...it will cost you.

It is larger than Coyaba and Sandals RC next door. It's large but doesn't feel huge like some places. The buildings are only 4 floors high and that helps significantly.

Anything else you can think of please ask! Enjoy