We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Jamaica safe?

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Is Jamaica safe?

Hi. We are thinking of going to the Sunspree Holiday Inn in Montego Bay this New Years holiday. I do remember hearing reports on the media a while back that Jamaica had issues with violence. Is it a safe place to travel?

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Jamaica safe?

Hi pammmy, the parts you've heard about are not near the Sunspree Holiday Inn. The majority of violent crimes are commited in Kingston/Spanishtown area and very rarely are commited on tourists. Kingston and Spanishtown are on the other side of the island. The main tourist area of Mo Bay is very safe. Downtown has its sections and I would advise you to not walk around downtown alone at night. Jamaica's people are very friendly, I think you should go and find out.

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
2. Re: Is Jamaica safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2006, 18:41
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Jamaica safe?

Still keep your wits about you and recognize your situation just as you should in unfamiliar surroundings in the Greeat White North. Try not to draw attention to your group. Don't flash money and if you are really concerned leave your expensive jewelry at home. Enjoy.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Jamaica safe?

Hey ohliz -the expert- if you're going to be condescending and insolent regarding a simple question don't bother answering it.

Thanks everyone else though.

kiz
canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Jamaica safe?

Hi Pammmy...

Type in the word 'safety' at the top of this thread in 'Jamaica forums' and you will find some terrific, honest responses.

We have been travelling to Negril for the last few years and have always felt very comfortable. Negril is less congested than Montego Bay, but as with anywhere, including home, you should always keep your wits about you!

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
somewhere out there
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Jamaica safe?

If you want the truth, read the Jamaican newspapers:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/

or

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com

And to answer your question, the answer is yes, Jamaica is having some serious issues with crime and violence all over the island.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,433 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Jamaica safe?

Apologies pammmy, I am a bit burnt out on this question I guess and as a result was a bit snarky, I should have refrained from answering, or said this:

It's as safe as any city in the US as long as you avoid a couple of areas nowhere near the Sunspree.

I do in fact take my children to Jamaica (every other trip since they were babies) and we travel all over with either a guide/driver or on our own in a rental car.

So far, so good...but I do use common sense, no getting drunk and wandering about at night alone, no major jewelry, lots of respect for folks i meet, avoid unlicensed taxis, avoid dark empty areas, etc.

Have a great time, a friend of mine took her two children to HI Sunspree and really loved it.

There are a lot of topics on the subject here if you search.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Jamaica safe?

Jamaica has it's issues but it's very rare that you will hear/read about crimes against tourist.

Right here in the UK in a very popular part of town in Birmingham a man was shot a few times yesterday. This is basically some where I have to pass all the time and it's not the first one.

Point is crime is every where, therefore use all safety precautions you would at home but with extra care and listen to all advive given here on the forums.

There is as stated above tons of threads on this subject.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Jamaica safe?

Thanks everyone for the advice and comments re:safety in Jamaica - you too ohliz :) Appreciate all of it and I suppose if we worried about everything, one wouldn't leave home!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Jamaica safe?

Pammy...let me put it this way...I feel safer in Jamaica than I would at the intersection of Jane & Finch in Toronto at any time of the day or night.

Unfortuately, violence is everywhere...with Trevor Berbicks death at the hands of his own relatives by machete just recently making the headlines around the world.

Others's have given you very good advice to use the search function when asking very basic questions...sometime's the "old hands" get annoyed with the newbies asking the same questions over & over again when a simple search could have provided the answer.

With the Mexican's goverment cover-up of the death of two Toronto residents in the Mayan Riveria, I have crossed Mexico off my list for a while.

From all I've heard, Holiday Inn Sunspree is a very good resort for parent's with small children.

Have fun, and enjoy!!!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,476 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico