We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent widow

Dinuba, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Recent widow

I am a recent widow. My husband and I have traveled to sandals resorts for the last 7 years. We had a trip planned for my birthday and Valentine's Day. Should I still go in honor of him and of course I crave sandals especially because of what happened? I know I will be sad but I am sad at home, why not be sad in paradise. I am sure I would meet people and I have butlers. Thoughts?

16 replies to this topic
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,376 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent widow

I would. And I would take a girlfriend or sister with me.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent widow

I like Too Cold's idea.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent widow

Go! Have a good time in his memory. I went to Ochie with my daughter after she lost her husband. Worked out fine. She got much needed R&R and I got to see old friends.

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent widow

Last January, while at Sandals Montego Bay, we met a man that was there alone because of the same circumstances you mentioned. He said he was glad that he had decided to take the vacation he and his wife had planned even though the death was very new to him.

I love the idea of taking someone with you.

I wish you the best.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,625 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent widow

comforting vibes!

Jamaica makes everything feel better and you have special memories there!

I too like the idea of going with someone as long as they will enjoy Jamaica as much as you and your husband did. Otherwise go alone and enjoy!

PEACE!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Richmond, California
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent widow

Definitely go. If you have a girlfriend to go with even better. But I think the memories would do your heart some good.

Sending loving light your way.

Edited: 19 September 2017, 18:27
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent widow

Sorry for your loss, it's great your keeping your plans!

Let them know, maybe you can ask for dinner partners on staff

Your paying for two, they should let you treat some staff you love!

We met a gentleman at SRC that kept going after his wife passed :)

And Sandals has no problem, they save money;)

I agree it would be great to take another, but if you want your own bed try letting them know you'd enjoy a member of their staff to enjoy meals with you!

You're paying for two, that should get you wonderful service and staff should be able to enjoy time with you:))

I went once without my husband and they where wonderful and very concerned about me travelling alone

They made sure I was busy and comfortable:))

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent widow

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I also think you should go. Just like you said, you're sad at home anyway. Why not take the trip you planned and go to paradise?

I would miss Sandals, too. I totally understand. <3

WI
Level Contributor
41 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent widow

Bless your heart, sorry for the loss of your husband. Go on your planned trip, and may you find some peace and have a restful heart while there.

Dinuba, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent widow

Thank you for your encouraging words. I would love the idea of having dinner with staff as I always enjoy hearing about their lives. Still not positive I can do this but feeling a little stronger as time goes on and hoping this would be a much needed rest.

Reply to: Recent widow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted