We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson/TUI clients - transfer

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson/TUI clients - transfer

A general question but specifically for Thomson clients. We have booked into the Riu Ocho Rios. What are people’s experienes of the transfer times? I have read between 1.5 and 2.5 hours, so contemplating a private transfer. These don’t see to be that cheap min $USD150 round trip.

What are the costs of a taxi at the airport? Are they easily available? Set prices or haggle? What are costs back from Ocho Rios back to Montego Bay airport?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

8 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
13,438 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson/TUI clients - transfer

"What are the costs of a taxi at the airport?'

The 'list' price is $us120, one way, for 1 to 4 people.

"Are they easily available?"

Yes.

"Set prices or haggle?"

Haggle.

Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson/TUI clients - transfer

Travel time is 1 and half hours save your money and take coach it was fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson/TUI clients - transfer

I’m never doing the bus again. The driver on our journey to Negril kept stopping to let locals on and off that he knew. 😂

We’ve booked with Joe Cool and we are paying $120 USD return. I booked Joe Cool for my parents last year and all went fine.

Edited: 16 October 2017, 19:52
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson/TUI clients - transfer

Bexiboo - was this a Thomson coach? When was this?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson/TUI clients - transfer

Yep. 2013. It just took forever as it was Friday traffic but I didn’t appreciate stopping more for no reason.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
36 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson/TUI clients - transfer

I booked a private driver from the airport to Runaway Bay in August. We arrived at the hotel 2 hours before the rest of the guests staying who were on our Thomson flight.

Used Joe Cool, brilliant guy. He charged me $120 return for 4 of us which included a choice from a list of cold drinks.

Just felt that after a 9 hour flight with 3 tired teenagers it was the best option for us; and it definitely was.

Edited: 17 October 2017, 20:04
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson/TUI clients - transfer

BW0704 - This is my thinking - get to the hotel before anyone off the flight - plus not hanging around at the airport for the coach to fill up!

Have had a quote from Joe Cool alredy @$140USD

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
36 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson/TUI clients - transfer

I thought the same, sitting around waiting for a coach to fill up and the possibility of having to stop at other hotels when you’re already tired from travelling didn’t appeal to me either. I’ve just checked my emails BigMatt and he charged me $140 too. We literally got our cases, went through the door and he was there with a sign.

Joe was brilliant with us, if we go back I wouldn’t think twice about using him again. I wish that I’d used him for our other trip into Ocho Ríos instead of using a local firm where the driver really took advantage of me. Gave him a tip and he said “more is good”. That was after being bought drinks, lunch and a backpack for his son for school!

Bev

Edited: 19 October 2017, 18:05
Reply to: Thomson/TUI clients - transfer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios