We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SGOR night life

delaware
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SGOR night life

Hi all,

I have read on some of these posts that SGOR has very little to do after 11:00 pm. My fiance and I love late night. What kind of fun things can we get into?

Thanks, T1b52

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SGOR night life

Just got back from SGOR.

Think heading into town is your best bet.

Apart from singing along with the pianoman (which gets a bit samey if you're there for long) every night, between 10.30-1pm, really nothing on. There is a nite club, but the most I ever saw in it was 6 people, including ourselves.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SGOR night life

This resort has ALOT to do at night. My husband and I sat in the piano bar every night until 2am. We had a great time. We got to know the pianoman, Estick. We even bought his CD. Beverly's Piano Bar is airconditioned...its very small so its not over crowded most of the time. Its very comfortable. My husband and I brought a deck of cards and played cards while we drank and listened to the pianoman play his songs and we sang along too. They have sing along books that you can make requests out of or sing along with. They are really a lot of fun. It NEVER got boring for us. We made a lot of friends in that piano bar.

Also, Nicole's Disco is open. One night they did Karoke, which was a hoot. It was PACKED.

You can always get a group of people that you meet together to go hang out at Nicoles if it isnt busy enough for you.

They also do shows, but I dont think those usually last past 11pm.

You can go out, but use common sense if you leave the resort. People say it is safe, but I personally dont recommend it.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SGOR night life

Well, Jamaicamenutts!

You mentioned the 2 things I did - said piano bar - which some may have enjoyed every night, but we just felt was a bit boring singing the same songs for 2 weeks, and nicoles niteclub. Perhaps april was very quiet, and to be fair, the resort didn't appear to be that busy anyway, but we looked in on the club most nights, and normally there was no-one there. As said, most we saw was 6, including ourselves! Did make friends with the other 2 couples though.

It's horses for courses. We were on our honeymoon, and didn't want to go mad partying, so weren't that bothered. But if it's good nitelife you're looking for, this is not the place to go - at least by Irish standards!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SGOR night life

bigmoc.

I guess its all relative. It depends on what you consider a "big crowd"...Now your right 6 isnt a crowd. But Ive been there in August and June....big honeymoon months, and there were plenty of people. So I suppose it depends on the time of year.

All Im saying is dont discourage people from this resort just because it wasnt busy the time of year you went. Most people want it to be non-crowded. Means less wait for food, less wait for drinks, and more individual attention.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SGOR night life

Jamaicamenutts!

We seem to keep bumping into each other on this forum!

I am not attempting to discourage people from going to this resort, simply giving an honest opinion of what the place is like.

Agree that resort may have better nitelife in other months. And you're right about the resort being fairly quiet in general. However, the service everywhere was terrible, so can only imagine what it must be like during the summer months!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SGOR night life

bigmoc.

Actually the service was GREAT. My husband actually drank to much and got sick on our bed and on the floor in our room and cleaning staff came at 2am and cleaned it up and sat with him for an hour to make sure he was okay. I dont do well with people getting sick so I was panicking. They had no problem sitting with him until both of us were better.

I think that is going above and beyond what is expected at a resort. Yes cleaning messes is their job, but you dont tip them or anything AND the guy sat for an hour with us while my husband puked in a garbage can.

Waiting for drinks is always some what slow at dinner. We realize its "island time" and that things move slower in jamaica. Our bus driver asked if anyone had been there before and we said yes. He told us he'd be back in a "Jamaican Minute" and we laughed because we knew exactly what he meant. We never waited that long and if it became a problem we just went to the bar and got a drink ourselves.

OTher than waiting for drinks, we never had any problems with poor service. And I dont mind things taking a little longer when I am on vacation. I dont know if it was you or not, I cant remember. But someone complained that drinks and what not are slow...but then complained at the speed of their candle light dinner. So, I guess not everyone can be pleased. I feel that the Jamaican people go above and BEYOND my expectations when it comes to making people happy. I never heard or saw anyone complain while I was there.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SGOR night life

As I said, the SERVICE was terrible, whether being too slow for drinks at the restaurants, rushed at the candlelit dinner, slow in bring over drinks at the bar, quick at bringing out the food, just awful all round. I'm quite sure that when you were there, everything was fine and dandy. It wasn't when we were. And met a lot of people, who all thought the same.

As I've said, we met a Sandals rep on the last night. There were at least 10 people crowded round him complaining about various things. I actually felt sorry for him, because some people were being a bit rude, and I don't like any of that. But remember to respect what other people say. Just because you had a great experience doesn't mean that other peoples comments are ill-founded.

As for the comments about it being in Jamaica time, that's wrong on two counts (in my opinion). As I've said, the service was bad - not slow, not quick, just bad. I think it probably comes down to management. Secondly, Sandals advertise themselves as having top class service. That's simply not true.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree!

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SGOR night life

I have been to numerous Sandals, including this one, and have always had excellent service. In fact this is the reason we keep going back. In my experience, the management staff strives to make sure all goes well.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SGOR night life

thank you orangenwhite.

BigMoc...

Let me tell you one reason for why things MAY not have been up to par while you were there. Cricket World Championships. Sandals had to expand quickly and remodel a lot to fit more guests for this. I think they even built a new resort, in which a lot of their employees were sent there to help with that. This could be one reason why your service was bad.

I know you are entitled to your opinion, but when you are giving people advice like its absolute it will make people not go there when service being bad maybe just YOUR opinion. If there were only 10 people complaning out of the thousands that were probably staying there at the same time as you, Id say thats probably not to bad. Often times people have stayed at other resorts and expect them all to be the same, when really it isnt like that at all. I also guess it depends on where you are from, what types of service you get at home, etc, etc, etc.

I always think it is funny how so many people can stay at one resort at the exact same time but have such varying opinions. Its because we are all different, we all have different expectations, all our opinions are different, we are all looking for different things, etc.

So advice to anyone who reads TripAdvisor. REMEMBER....these are people's opinions. Ive had numerous emails from people who freak out because someone said something was bad to THEM in a review or on a forum. People forget that it may not bother them personally if they were in the situation.

So, that is why I defend this resort, I really defend any resort...because this is peoples OPINION and with that...you should go and judge for yourself. That is what I've learned from reading forums and reviews on TA. TA is really good for asking questions and getting feedback from people's personal points of view or experiences...but dont weigh them too heavily. Because even what I say about the resort is MY opinion and I think its great!

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SGOR night life

Really is my last word on this!

Firstly, think you misunderstood me. When we got speaking to rep, it was at the bar, and everybody in our group complined about various things. This was not a planned "lets go speak to the management" thing. So it was 10 out of 10, not 10 out of 1000!

Secondly, cricket world cup! Again, think there's been a bit of a misunderstanding about this as well! Firstly, in the 2 weeks I was in Jamaica, there was only 1 match on. That was the semi final. In Kingston. There was nobody I saw in Sandals going to it. Nor would I expect there to be, as the match was in Kingston, many miles away. I believe that during the first round, some people did stay at Ocho Rios in SSG, and perhaps Rui. I'm interested in Cricket, and spoke to many of the employees about it, who all told me that Sandals wasn't affected in the slightest. Look, I'm sure that you had great service, as indeed have many people who go to Sandals, which is why so many people go back. However, just as you comment that you believe the negative reviews persuade people to go elsewhere, I believe that the positive reviews give a very slanted version of the place. I personally wouldn't recommend that anybody go to SGOR, and NOBODY I talked to said they'd be going back.

I do think, from reading this forum, that there's a bit of bullying going on by people who love the place, constantly saying not to listen to the people who criticise it. Not saying that includes you, Jamaicamenutts! But negative reviews are just as important as positive ones.

Some people may nit-pick, some people may be looking for different things. But when people do give their views, it may not be because "they expect the same service as they get at home", to para-phrase. Obviously never been to ireland! It may just be because the service that THEY experienced was very poor, not by their own standards, but by ALL standards.

Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations