We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US plug. Will I need a converter for the electrical outlets

Washington DC
6 posts
Save Topic
US plug. Will I need a converter for the electrical outlets

Sorry to post this since its been addressed in past posts, but I keep reading conflicting information.

I am traveling from the US and will need to plug in items like my laptop, camera, and iPod.

We are staying at Sandals Dunn's River.

Will I need a special converter for the electrical outlets?

Thanks for your help!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: US plug. Will I need a converter for the electrical outlets

Asked yesterday by someone else & answered in this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k13169…

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US plug. Will I need a converter for the electrical outlets

DCBelle

We stayed at SDR and I always brought my hair straightener. There is a regular plug. Sometimes it was by the bathroom area (but not up by the sink) sometimes it was across the room by the full-sized mirror. Hope that helps.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US plug. Will I need a converter for the electrical outlets

just to add....you don't need a converter no. However, their current runs on slower cycles so it takes alot longer for things to charge up.

La Mesa, California
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: US plug. Will I need a converter for the electrical outlets

Here is the long and tedious version:

If you are traveling to Jamaica from the USA or Canada you DO NOT need to bring the ADAPETR/CONVERTER PLUG KIT. The outlets are the same, the voltage is the same. None of the items below change or alter the 50HZ or 60Hz. In Jamaica some 60Hz appliances, like electric motors (ceiling fans, for example), will burn out from extended use. Short term use of hair dryers and other hair appliances is fine.

IF YOU ARE COMING FROM EUROPE AND ELSEWHERE: There are ADAPTERS, CONVERTERS and TRANSFORMERS.

The ADAPTER is needed if your plug does not fit into the outlet. Its job is to put a square peg into a round hole. That’s it – nothing more. It does not convert anything. Its job is to ADAPT. If the appliance does not match the outlet, the adapter is the first item to be plugged into the outlet and then followed by a converter/transformer. It must be followed with something other than the appliance.

The CONVERTER is needed if your appliance requires a voltage that is not available at the outlet. If you are traveling from a 220 country to Jamaica you will need a step-down converter. That cuts 220 to 110. (If you are traveling from a 110 country to a 220 country you will need a step-up converter).

The TRANSFORMER is similar to the converter but works differently. Converters cut the sine waves in half; a transformer alters the length of the sine wave. Transformers are for long term use while converters are for short term use. Some appliances need a fully transformed voltage.

The most important thing is this: first plug in the adapter (square plug/round hole problem) and THEN the converter or transformer and THEN your appliance.

5. Re: US plug. Will I need a converter for the electrical outlets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 16:19