We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU clubhotel Ocho Rios

5 posts
Save Topic
RIU clubhotel Ocho Rios

We are shortly departing for our 1 week hols to the RIU Clubthotel Ocho Rios. I have been reading the reviews and have the following questions regarding the rooms:

Can we eat at the japanese and steak houses if we are in standard rooms?

If no, what room do we need to upgrade to (deluxe or suite)?

How much are the upgrades for 1 week?

I have been on our travel agents website to find out but they are not advertising upgrade prices!

Thanks for your help!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU clubhotel Ocho Rios

I have not been to the RIU resorts in Ocho Rios, but we go ever year to the RIU resorts in Mexico. If you are staying at the hotel where the Japanese and Steakhouse are located, you should be able to use them. I believe you will have to make reservations for them each day. I does not matter what type of room you stay in. Have you checked RIU.com? Lots of info.

Essex, England
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU clubhotel Ocho Rios

You can't eat at the japanese restaurant unless you have a junior suite, or full suite. I think there are two steak houses and you can eat in one of them (menus both the same)

I had fun trying to book a suite from England, but did manage in end, but booked early and think they sell out quick as we only get a small allocation of rooms.

If you need any advice ask on here or email the hotel direct, details on riu website. They have been very good at replying to my queries.

Thomson in uk, didn't have huge amount of knowledge.

You also could just ask for an upgrade at check in, I have read on here that it has worked for other people. Just don't forget to tip!!

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU clubhotel Ocho Rios

I had a suite, but listen very carefully. Ask for an upgrade and if they have it they will give you one. If you want to MAKe sure you get one, shake hands as you are asking for one to the clerk that is checking you in with a 20.00 bill and HONEY, you will be upgraded. Or you can just go to the restaurant and do the same thing with a 10.00 and once again, you are in!! They repeatedly told us some restaurants were booked, but we got into them all with this trick,.Have fun!!!

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU clubhotel Ocho Rios

Thanks, I have emailed them and am waiting for a reply.

Some of the reviews about the hotel aren't too good but nevertheless I am really looking forward to it!

thanks for your advice!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU clubhotel Ocho Rios

We are just back from the Riu Ocho Rios yesterday and I can give you some information.

1. We emailed ahead and requested an upgrade. Upon arrival we were taken to a Thomson desk rather than the main reception check in desk. We were given the room we paid for. What you need to do is take the Thomson allocation room and then go straight to the main check in desk and ask for an upgrade. If they have the availability then you will be upgraded. This happened with a few people we met, Do not pay extra for an upgrade

2. Japanese is supposed to be limited to suite guests only but if you ring the reservation line and they have availability then they will let you book a table.

3. Steak house is great and you can use it as many times as you like - we went about 5 times.

You will have a fab time

London, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU clubhotel Ocho Rios

This info is so useful. We are going on Monday (Oct 1st). We have booked standard rooms and are disappointed that we may not be able to eat in the Japanese restaurants. We will certainly try the $20/$10 bill upgrade trick. Is this usual. Don't want to get in trouble!

Can anyone advise on the best part of the hotel for the standard rooms if we're not successful at upgrading? We are taking grandparents that will not want to walk miles to everything. Also don't the suite customers get upset seeing standard people getting into the Japanese (as it seems you get allocated a different colour armband).

Also we are three generations with our kids in one room, a separate room for us and one for the grandparents. Does anyone know about the intercommunicating set up. Do many of the rooms have doors between?

Can anyone feedback on the sea pollution mentioned. This seems very offputting. I will be paranoid now when I swim!

London, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU clubhotel Ocho Rios

Hi there

You can read in my review our experience with the Japanese and grill restaurants.

In short though they will let you eat in to the Japanese if you go and ask nicely at the restaurant just after 7 pm and they will fit you in if they have "no shows" even if you're in the standard rooms. The grill is open to all but you need to phone early at 9 am to book. They will also let you in if you just turn up and they have space but they were always full at the first sitting.

There are reviews from people who got free upgrades for tipping at the front desk but unfortunately this didn't work for us, maybe cos there were six of us in three rooms. They quoted us $100 per night per room but you can always email the hotel direct to secure a suite before you go. email: clubhotel.ochorios@riu.com

I'm sure you will love the hotel. Make sure you go to Dunns Falls on the catamaran from the beach!

8. Re: RIU clubhotel Ocho Rios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 19:15