We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bit about the trip Please...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
A bit about the trip Please...

Hi all,

Just wanted to know a lil' bit mor about the ride from Mo'Bay iport to SJG. I know its approx 1.5 hrs..what is there to see along the way?

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A bit about the trip Please...

You will first drive through Ironshore, then to Runaway Bay and then on to Ochi.

You will def see poverty. You need to be prepared for this. This is how the majority of the people live there. Keep that in mind when tipping please. The workers at the resort live no where near the water so the little 'shacks' are similar to what they would live in. Most live in the hills.

You will see lots of lovely vegetation, goats, birds, horses as you pass by Chukka Blue, and the ocean. Enjoy!

Independence...
Level Contributor
485 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A bit about the trip Please...

Don't be surprised if it's closer to 2 hours. But the ride is what you make of it especially if you have good driver. Chances are you will make a stop halfway for jerk and drinks, so plan $$ for this, meaning smaller bills. Even the little shops take USD, not sure about CD. There is a lot to see, but now the road is new, it is inland a bit more. I miss going through Falmouth. You will see a Boxite mine (aluminum foil), you will see were Christopher Columbus first landed, as well as lots of goats. Unfortunately, you will not see Ziggy's Futre Wal-Mart site as it was taken down. Our driver to COR last summer slowed or stopped every time that one of the riders pointed their camera, this got a bit old, but he was trying to be curtious.

Minneapolis
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A bit about the trip Please...

I went last year and the road was under construction as Im sure it has been for the last 10 years, but I hear its in better shape now. It took us about 2 hours. You get to see alot of the island, so that is a great thing. When you get out for your half way break, our group got asked if they want to party. Unless you want to buy pot, probably best to say no.

NYC
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A bit about the trip Please...

Another question-- is the ride really swervy and bumpy? Coming from someone who gets pretty carsick... I will bring motion sickness pills, but just wondering if it is really shaky.

Thanks in advance!

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A bit about the trip Please...

I haven't done the trip in many years (will be doing it Thurs!!) - But, if you get car sick I would advise taking the pills, just to be safe.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A bit about the trip Please...

The ride from the airport to the hotel is one of my favorite parts of whole vacation. You are filled with anticipation, you are finally there, the scenery is mostly spectacular with doses of the harsh reality of a poverty stricken nation, and still almost everyone you see is smiling. If you have a privite driver you can also choose to roll down the windows to feel the warmth and smell the jerk. Hopefully, you will get a chatty driver that can point out things of particular interest. The road was not too bad a couple of years ago. It is usually necessary to slow way down when going throught the areas of construction.

Shiner, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A bit about the trip Please...

I agree with Gardner.

Belleville, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A bit about the trip Please...

Deamin,

I was just there in November 2007 and compared to June 2006 the road is great. It is almost completely paved now. Like a regular highway at home not too bumpy or hilly there are even 4 lane portions.

It makes the drive a bit quicker now!

It is beautiful but there is poverty. You just need to realize this in advance. The main thing is that pretty much everyone you meet in Jamaica is HAPPY! We have not had a bad experience and we went off the beaten path with our private driver and everyone was courteous.

They will definately offer you smoke, but if you say no thanks its not a big deal.

Independence...
Level Contributor
485 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A bit about the trip Please...

I take motion sickness meds for the ride. I get car sick just riding in a car here at home. Also drink lots of water on the way. Keeping yourself hydrated also helps to keep you from getting sick.

10. Re: A bit about the trip Please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 09:19