We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Been to SDR, now looking at SGOR

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cali
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Been to SDR, now looking at SGOR

Hey all,

We went to SDR for our HM in July 2002. LOVED IT! After MUCH web searching of Caribbean and Mexico for a trip in May...we are now leaning towards SGOR (just can't get enough of Jamaica!). They seem to have a lot of things that we loved before...but have a few questions.

From posts I've seen the event nights inc. Mon-pool party and Friday-beach party (both favs of ours!), what about the other nights?

Swim=up bars: Is there one at the piano bar like at SDR (we spent many a late night socializing and drinking in that pool)? How late are the pool/swim-up bars open?

It sounds like we would prefer the Manor side (as I am a big swim-up bar nut) as far as a room goes. We lived in San Diego for 8 years, so a beach isn't the hugest priority (although my hubby does like beach volleyball and both enjoy beach games). I want a mini bar, so it sounds like I need to book a concierge room rather than taking a chance on being upgraded to one. Any opinions on side and where to get the room?

I guess that's it for now...I'm sure more ??? to come.

Cyndee

long island, ny
Level Contributor
613 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Been to SDR, now looking at SGOR

This is a good one.

SDR was refurbished at the end of 2005. It is much nicer than it was when you were there last in 2002.

IMHO, you would not be happy @ SGOR, if you are comparing it to SDR. SDR is MUCH nicer, although smaller SGOR.

I really think that you will be impressed with the renovations that were done @ SDR.

I have stayed @ both. I love SDR so much that we are going back next month.

Cali
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Been to SDR, now looking at SGOR

OH GREAT!!?!?! Just when I think I've finally made up my mind after tons of indecision you throw a kink in it:-)

I just think if we're spending the money to go back to Caribbean...we have to try something a little new for us. My main reservation about my SGOR decision was that we were going back to Ocho of all the places to choose from in the Carib.

I definately want to shuttle to DR to see renovs though!

Do u know if SGOR has the same swim-up bar/piano bar set up as SDR (that you can enjoy at night? Really that was one of my fondest memories!

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Been to SDR, now looking at SGOR

If I remember correctly the piano bar is near the Riviera Pool not the main pool. And while it is near the pool it is not set up like at SDR with the pool around the bar. As for the theme nights they seem to be pretty standard at most Sandals we have been to. I agree with the previous poster that SDR is a very nice resort (our favorite in fact) but I am sure you will enjoy other Sandals as well. I noticed you said you were wanting to try something different. Ever thought about Sandals Negril or Whitehouse? If not many people will rave about SGOR on here so I am sure you will have a great vacation either way.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
613 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Been to SDR, now looking at SGOR

I really was not trying to confuse you.

I see people that go to SGOR all the time, and want to go back to SDR because they compare the 2 resorts while they are there, just not the other way around.

I too loved SGOR, until I went to SDR.

As you already know, they really are 2 compleatly different resorts. SGOR is BIG, SDR is a lot smaller.

It all depends on what you want.

I'M SURE you will have a great time no matter which resort you choose.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Been to SDR, now looking at SGOR

SGOR does not have a swim up piano bar on either side of the property. There is a piano bar but it is located inside.

In my opinion, if you are going for a concierge level room the rooms are nicer on the riviera side. They have all been recently redone and have a tremendous view of the ocean. If you stay on the manor side, many of the rooms are located quite a ways off from the main building. You would have quite a walk to the Manor Pool etc... Also, most of the restaurants are on the riviera side so it is nice to be close to them when you go back to your room to change for dinner after a day by the pool.

In our experience it doesn't take much longer to get to the Manor pool from the riviera side than it does from some of the distant rooms on the manor side.

Also, we usually stay in the concierge rooms, but the last time we stayed in a grande luxe ocean view room(no concierge) on the riviera side, there was fridge in our room stocked with juice,water,soda etc... We asked the maid for a couple bottles of alchohol and had our own mini bar. So if you don't want to pay the extra, those rooms are roughly the same size and have the same view as the concierge level rooms at the Riviera.

As far as the pools are concerned, my wife and I swam in the beach club pool as late as 2am on several occasions. There was no one else around, but we were able to swim.

Cali
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Been to SDR, now looking at SGOR

Thanks for opinions everyone!

Orangenwhite

I looked at Negril, RC and Mobay (definately not last 2 due to pool at Mobay and older quieter crowd at RC). Negril was my choice until I saw posters pics of SGOR's pools! WH seemed too secluded as far as excursions, Margaritaville, and DR shuttle. Plus we're going more for fun than romance, which is what WH seems to be popular for.

Event nights: We're thinking of going Mon 4/28 to Sun 5/4 to get in both pool and beach parties (do'nt care about formal night). Does that sound about right?

Stringman25-

Thanks for getting back to me! So u did have a fridge in your non-concierge room? Sounds like all but beer & wine are stocked in it. Do they restock water daily for u?

Cyndee

San Diego...
Level Contributor
116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Been to SDR, now looking at SGOR

Yes, everything we drank they resupplied every day.

The housekeeper resupplied the alchohol we had asked for when it was gone as well.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
823 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Been to SDR, now looking at SGOR

Hi Cyndee - sent you a message -

I can't argue with personal opinions on which resort but yes my favorite is SGOR and I do visit SDR for a day and even dinner. Stayed on Manor side twice and the many times on Riveria. We will be there next month and booked Riveria side just regular room. Not in room much. The swim up pool bar on Manor side is just awesome. There are three total swim up bars that is at the entire resort and even a slide pool. Lots to explore there for sure and oh so tropical. Good thing is that no matter what you decide you can go to both very easy and enjoy. Just a note - We personally don't have a problem going back and forth to Manor and Riveria side. Sometimes we walk up and down and sometimes catch the shuttle. No problem.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
588 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Been to SDR, now looking at SGOR

We too love Dunn's River so much and are going back in five weeks. Ocho Rios just doesn't compare. WE liked Ocho but not enough to return. Dunn's river however, it's our fourth and have gone there the last three years. Have been to most of the Sandals and still like this one the best if you want Jamaica.

Calgary
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Been to SDR, now looking at SGOR

We've stayed at SGOR four times (most recent was December 2007) and we love it. We've been to SDR for the day, and it was great too, but we just preferred SGOR for some reason.

The Manor pool is AMAZING. The swim-up bar there closes around 5 or 6pm. The piano bar on the Manor side is the the Polo Lounge, in the main building. Also, they have pool volleyball and basketball there. We love the rooms on the manor side - the semi-private pool is what does it for us. In December, we stayed in Villa 20, which is one of the farthest from the Manor pool, and we walked down to the pool all the time. it took maybe 5 or 6 minutes each way (well, more on the way back since it's up a pretty steep hill!) so if you're in good shape you'll be fine. If you have problems walking due to an injury, you might want to consider a room on the Riviera side, or in the main manor house.

It seems like there's a mix of opinions on here about SGOR vs SDR. Some prefer one over the other, some think both are great. If one seems to have the amenities you want, then go and enjoy!

They also have the returning guests dinner on Wednesday nights. At SGOR it's not the long, drawn out thing it can be elsewhere. You get entered into a draw for door prizes such as free cabana rentals, free candle light dinner, and spa certificates. You also get a bottle of rum and some t-shirts. We think it's worth going to.

Let us know what you choose!

MuseJam