We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

“Personal Security a huge concern.” quoted from Riu review!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
“Personal Security a huge concern.” quoted from Riu review!

I am a little concerned about this review under the Riu-Ocho Rios hotel review section. Can anyone confirm this stuff happens? Should I email the hotel? Would I get an honest answer? How can it be prevented while there? We are going in June with a 10 year old girl, should I be worried? as you can tell, I am... Never, never had any problem like this at any resort that we have been to. - Things were going good, I was excited, I was sure it was a good desicion.........I guess I just need some good ole TA lovin now.

newcastle uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: “Personal Security a huge concern.” quoted from Riu review!

Not a great review that one, a little concerned myself leaving in 3 weeks but hey, im sure we all have a great time. Take the reviews with a pinch of salt, just make sure all your valued belongings are locked up safely in the safe.

jules

yorkshire
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: “Personal Security a huge concern.” quoted from Riu review!

we stayed in a riu hotel in january and had no problems at all, that is why we have decided to go back to a riu hotel.

i would have thought that all the riu chain would be very similar

we go here in 4 weeks, dont let them worry you, we are not,

dont forget some people just like to moan or could be just un lucky

hope you have a great time

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: “Personal Security a huge concern.” quoted from Riu review!

hjoic

I guess anything is possible, anywhere, anytime. Look at ALL the reviews for a pattern. If there is an ongoing problem chances are, other will share it. In the end you can ignore dozens of good to fair reviews and focus on the one that is troubling. If you think this one person's experience is destine to be yours, then you won't enjoy your stay. If that's the case is it worth going? Look at ALL the reviews, there you will find answers or at least a pattern.

Good Luck!

Pauline

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: “Personal Security a huge concern.” quoted from Riu review!

Thanks for all the uplifting positives.. I just want to make sure this isn't becoming a regular practice. Times are tough and well, you know, people do things to make ends meet. I read somewhere that someone crow-barred a safe out of a room at one of the resorts. Can you imagine? Wouldn't someone see something like this? I guess you have to be creative on where you hide your stuff. Anyway. I am still going but I don't want to spend my vacation time worried that someone is ransacking our room while we are out..

...Maybe it would be best if I didn't know. What's the world coming to? never mind...don't answer, I already know.

Thanks again for all the positive replies. Keeping my fingers crossed that we don't hear of this again.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: “Personal Security a huge concern.” quoted from Riu review!

I agree... always take any review with a grain of salt. Some people will rave about everything, and some will complain about everything. I just got back from this resort, and we had no problems at all. During our week-long stay, there was one person that tried to get into our room, and it was only because he went to the wrong door (we could hear someone trying to unlock the door, and no, his key didn't work on our door). Any staff that came into the room knocked first. Our rooms were ready, but we didn't have towels when we got in. We asked the housekeeper, and she brought them to us right away. The towel rack in the shower was actually starting to break off, and while it took a couple of times mentioning this to the staff, they did come to fix it. The keys are on big key chains with the numbers on them, but the plus to that is that it makes them hard to lose. It can be tricky to get reservations at the restaraunts, but we actually got in at 3 of them (there were only 2 of us though)and the staff seemed fine to us. If you are worried about things being stolen, just be sure to lock up as much as you can in the safe, and use locks on your suitcases. Enjoy your trip!

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: “Personal Security a huge concern.” quoted from Riu review!

The most valuable thing I take on my vacation is a digital camera, which is almost, always with me. All other things such as passport and credit cards are locked in the safe or my suitcase. If anything got stolen, then I guess they need it more than I do. They will be sporting Wal-mart and K-mart high fashion :-).

Pauline

Belgium
Level Contributor
617 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: “Personal Security a huge concern.” quoted from Riu review!

If they are in dire need or not is not an excuse for anyone to steal.

But to continue on what the OP wrote, things like this tend to happen in every country, they even happen in the most civilized countries.

I think somewhere around december there were some thefts in the Riu Tropical, but that problem got contained as the perp got jailed and no other problems were experienced there.

I am very sure that the Riu management will do everything to find the perp and take the necessary legal action.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: “Personal Security a huge concern.” quoted from Riu review!

Oh I agree, this happens everywhere. I don't blame any one, place or thing. I guess I was looking for advice on how to make sure it doesn't get the best of me. I never thought of copying my passport before but from some great advice here at work. I will be taking photo copies.Keeping more cash on my person not taking expensive jewelry. Leaving that at home.

I don't really worry about what they steal, if it were to happen, it's the hassle of what you would have to go through............I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, it's NOT going to happen, right! I am going to prepare, not be stupid, take the right precautions, and ENJOY my vacation...Drinking by the beautiful blue sea. Review? what review? never read it! I'm trying!

Chadderton
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: “Personal Security a huge concern.” quoted from Riu review!

Having spent a week at the Riu at Easter, I can honestly say we didn't see / hear of anything like this going on. It's an absolutely fantastic resort and really nothing to worry about. As previously mentioned on here, the maids knock before entering your room and the safe is secure enough and large enough to fit all personal belongings in.

Don't worry about a thing - enjoy!

West Falls, New York
Level Contributor
94 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: “Personal Security a huge concern.” quoted from Riu review!

I leave for the Riu Ochie this Friday, so I will post a review when I return on 5/12. I have been concerned about the same things as well, but again, if you are smart with your belongins, all will be well!

Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations