We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a scarey review dated 4th may

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
yorkshire
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
a scarey review dated 4th may

me and my family travel to riu ocho rios on 29th may and after reading the review stating that they got money stolen whilst they were in their rooms is a little scarey.

we have been to a riu in mexico and had no trouble with anything, we always placed our money in the safe and can honestly say that we felt safe.

does anyone know if this happens in jamaica or is it not known

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
872 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: a scarey review dated 4th may

Not too long ago..someone posted a concern regarding the same reviews..there was a long response...I'm not sure if T/A took it off the forum..

yorkshire
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a scarey review dated 4th may

thanks for that

it makes you very weary but there are a lot of good reviews, surely if this happened alot people would not go and travel agents would do something about it.

heres me hoping that it is a rare thing that happens

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
866 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a scarey review dated 4th may

I'm getting tired of reading reviews about the RIU and people having things stolen from their rooms. Obviously with a hotel this big..they must have a lot of employees and someone internally doing this. I leave in 10 days...just planning to have a wonderful time and keeping everything locked in the safe.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
872 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: a scarey review dated 4th may

hondo2,

I couldn't agree more w/ you..it might be internally..you just have to take extra precautions when you leave the room..it does scare the heck out of everyone..IT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE!!

You want to enjoy your trip, not worry if things/money will get stolen from your room.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
866 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a scarey review dated 4th may

Yorkshire...Just to clarify..I'm not tired of people talking about the reviews that comment about the robbing (hope you didn't think that)..I am just frustrated that it keeps happening at this hotel and everytime a new review pops up about it..it scares me. This is my 3rd All Inclusive trip (Punta Cana, Rivieria Maya) and I have never once thought about the possibility of someone breaking into my room so it does make me feel very cautious. I have this door jam thing I used to use in my apartment when I lived by myself...maybe I should pack it.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a scarey review dated 4th may

Hondo2

thanks for that, hope you have a good and safe holiday, will you please let me know how it goes when you get back, i am like you a bit weary but we always lock our things away, better to be safe than sorry

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a scarey review dated 4th may

Thanks alot to all the people making these coments about the riu as we are leaving in the morning for our holls. I think some people like to scare other people, I will be going with an open mind and will enjoy no mater what. Watch out for my report when i come back

Linda

yorkshire
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a scarey review dated 4th may

Linda

hope you have a great time, i think no matter where you go, you are always going to be a little weary.

like i have said in my previous review, we went to a riu hotel in mexico and honestly we felt very safe

look forward to hear all about your holiday when you get back because we will be going at end of month

Deal
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: a scarey review dated 4th may

The thing is the resort is huge & with most large places there are those who look for opportunities.

There were reports of the safes being drilled, so I would limit what valuables you bring & cash you leave in the safe.

I always did hate those key safes. Besides having to carry the key on you, they can easily be drilled out. Not to mention if you do have some crook watching you they can easily see what jewelry you have on & when you may not.

Also as far as the employees, if there is a dishonest one that is watching you & they notice that you do not & or are not carrying your safe key, all they have to do if pillage threw your luggage till they locate it. You know in that place you think no one will ever look.

Keeping your guard up & being one step ahead of the bad guys at home or away is the only way to "help" assure that you will not fall victim. But if someone is going to go threw the trouble to drill your safe then there is not much you can do but limit what they could possible get.

Do or would I worry about it ? No. But with this and many other things, Always consciously try to stay one step ahead.

If your room is in the back far side of the hotel or any place for that matter & you should notice somebody that seems odd or hanging around, by all means call the front desk if you should feel that something may not seem right.

All that aside, enjoy your vacation all !

10. Re: a scarey review dated 4th may

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 00:20