We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SGOR/SDR taxi rates

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
SGOR/SDR taxi rates

We will be staying at Sandals Grande Ocho Rios next week and I was planning on taking a taxi to Dunns River Falls and/or nearby Mystic Mountain. I was wondering, since Sandals offers free transfers between resorts and Sandals Dunns River is closer to the falls, should I take the free shuttle and then grab a taxi at SDR? Anybody know how much the rates might be at both resorts?

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SGOR/SDR taxi rates

SDR is very close to the falls. If you feel comfortable doing so you could walk to the falls. Not sure on taxi rates though. I would not think it would cost much from SDR though.

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SGOR/SDR taxi rates

This was brought up before and I am not too sure where people are getting the idea that they should walk to Dunn's River Falls from SDR???

I would say the walk from Sandals Dunns to the entrance to climb the falls is close to 1/2 hour, in the heat, and along the highway...can be a dangerous undertaking, to say the least.

Do yourselves a favor and grab a taxi. And it might be a few dollars cheaper to take the taxi from SDR as opposed to SGOR, but I have not done that so I can't say for sure.

Make sure you negotiate the price BEFORE you get in to go and have the driver either wait or return for you.

Have fun!

IrieLady

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SGOR/SDR taxi rates

Yeah, from what I can see on the map, SDR is roughly 1.5 miles from the falls and SGOR is roughly 2.5 miles. You probably could walk it, but that doesn't make it a good idea, especially on a rum buzz. lol

I figured we could just head to SDR Tuesday morning (to hopefully avoid the cruise ships) and then hang out there during the day when we got back. I'd imagine since it's almost half the distance, the rates would hopefully be much cheaper. We'd probably just have them come back for us, too.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SGOR/SDR taxi rates

Sandals should seriously offer that tour free. I mean, it's right there on the way between the two resorts. Maybe I'll slip the transfer driver $5 and have him pick us up. lol jk

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SGOR/SDR taxi rates

Mr. Feeto, another suggestion/tip for you. If you wanted to make a full day of it at SDR and the Falls, you can pack a bag (like your small carry-on or back pack type) with a change of clothes, etc...in it. This can be left with the front dest at SDR while you go to climb the falls. When you get back, just head to the spa to use their showers/facilities (they provide soap, shampoo, lotions, etc...) to clean up for dinner. ; )

Have fun!

IrieLady

PS...this makes my 1,000 post on tripadvisor! :-)

YAHOO!!!

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SGOR/SDR taxi rates

Funny you say that, Mr Feeto. They use to!

It was part of our package when we first went to Sandals Ocho Rios back in 2001. I think you had to stay a minimum of 6 nights, but it Dunn's River Falls was included in our stay for free.

IrieLady

Lexington...
Level Contributor
230 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SGOR/SDR taxi rates

To IrieLady:

Your 1000th post! Wow! That is monumental. I am happy to say that I personally have benefited from much information that you have shared!... as I am sure many people have! Keep the information coming! Happy traveling!

strathspey

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SGOR/SDR taxi rates

Yeah... I know they've raised the admission price at the falls, but I'd be willing to pay the admission if Sandals would just provide the transportation (which wouldn't cost them any more given the free transfers they already do). Instead they want to try to make $20pp or more off of it. I don't see why they couldn't just setup a few stops between the resorts, even, so people could check out stuff like the Island Village and Margaritaville.

Thanks for the tip, too! I forgot about clothes. lol Maybe we could just go back over another night for Marco Polo or Kimonos and just hang out in our swimsuits after the falls. I know if the wife doesn't have makeup and a suitcase full of shoes along for a nice dinner I'd never hear the end of it. ;-)

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SGOR/SDR taxi rates

Strathspey,

Thank you for the kind words! How thoughtful of you to say. It is my pleasure, and my passion, to be able to travel and share what I know and learn while doing so with my fellow travelers. ; -)

PS..check out the post on St. Lucia forums about Oceanview rooms at Halcyon for me. I think you may be able to contribute...

Mr Feeto...you are funny! Us women can't help it if you guys expect us to look stunning all the time. LOL! So, you would need to bring TWO bags...no big deal. HA!HA!HA!

Definitely check out Marco Polo's. Kimonos can be fun, better if you have a group you know with you, but don't expect greatness. Very hit or miss there...

IrieLady

10. Re: SGOR/SDR taxi rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 11:24